UK nationals who have been legally living in Hungary before December 31, 2020 when the UK withdraws from the EU may continue to live, study, and work in Hungary through rights established through the Withdrawal Agreement. UK nationals who are residents of Hungary by the end of the Brexit transition will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, and their rights will be protected if they remain a resident. UK nationals should make sure they are registered as residents.

Entry and Residency Requirements

UK nationals who are living in Hungary must carry their original passport or government-issued ID at all times. Copies will not be accepted.

UK nationals who were legally residents of Hungary before the end of 2020 can stay in the country. The Hungarian government is dedicated to protecting the rights of UK nationals who were legally residing in the country through December 31, 2020.

UK nationals who plan to stay in Hungary for more than three months must register at their local National Directorate General for Aliens Policing. They will receive a registration certificate immediately. The address card will be delivered through mail. Individuals who move to a different town in Hungary must register their address again at the local registry office.

The government will provide updates if changes occur to the residency registration process.

Starting on January 1, 2021, travel is permitted in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in a 180-day period without a visa to visit family or friends; attend business meetings, sports events, or cultural events; for tourism, and for short-term study or training. Travelers should note that visits to other Schengen countries within the previous 180 days also count towards the 90-day maximum stay. Any days spent in Hungary before January 1, 2021 will not count towards the 90-day limit.

Working in Hungary

UK nationals who are residents of Hungary as of December 31, 2020 will retain their right to work in Greece if they remain residents.

To apply for a job, UK nationals may need a UK police clearance certificate.  

Individuals who live in Hungary and commute to work in another EU/EFTA country may need a permit proving that they are a frontier worker starting in January 2021. The Home Office will provide further details when guidance is available.


A valid passport is required to enter the country through December 2020. Starting on January 1, 2021, passports must have at least a six-month validity, except for individuals transiting Hungary or who fall within the scope of the Withdrawal Agreement. Individuals must renew their passport prior to traveling if they have less than six months remaining on their passport. Additional months from passports that are more than 10 years old cannot be added to the validity period. 

Originally published 16 December 2020

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.