In April 2016 a number of amendments were introduced to the migration legislation. In particular, the rules for entry and stay of foreigners in the Republic of Kazakhstan, as well as their departure from the country, were changed (by Kazakhstan Government Decree No. 148 dated 21 January 2012) (hereinafter the Rules). Below we describe the most important of those changes.
- The moment of the start of the calculation of the five-day period for registering foreigners has been clarified: Foreigners temporarily staying in the Republic of Kazakhstan (for more than five days), shall, within five calendar days after crossing the state border, register with the bodies of internal affairs. Previously, the Rules did not contain the exact procedure for calculating the above-mentioned period. According to the amendments, the calculation period starts from 00:01 of the day during which the foreign national has crossed the state border.
- The possibility of extending the 90
day period of stay for another 90 days for citizens of the
countries of the Eurasian Economic Union (EEU), namely the citizens
of the Russian Federation (RF), the Republic of Belarus and Armenia
(with the exception of citizens of the Kyrgyz Republic) has been
cancelled: As a result of the changes, the 90 day period of stay of
citizens will not be renewed for the same term, as it was earlier.
In particular, at the end of this period, citizens of Russia,
Belarus and Armenia are obliged to leave the territory of the
Republic of Kazakhstan and to enter it again, if necessary.
- Between the Governments of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan there is a separate agreement on the procedure of stay of citizens dated 11 May 2012, whereby citizens of the Kyrgyz Republic have the right to extend the 90 day registration for the same period without departing the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Citizens of the EEU countries coming to the Republic of Kazakhstan for the purpose of employment can apply for registration for one year with the possibility of annual renewal without having to leave the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- The procedure for entry into the Republic of Kazakhstan for foreigners who arrive with children has been simplified: since 2016, foreign citizens who have not reached the age of 16 are exempt from registration.
Dentons is the world's first polycentric global law firm. A top 20 firm on the Acritas 2015 Global Elite Brand Index, the Firm is committed to challenging the status quo in delivering consistent and uncompromising quality and value in new and inventive ways. Driven to provide clients a competitive edge, and connected to the communities where its clients want to do business, Dentons knows that understanding local cultures is crucial to successfully completing a deal, resolving a dispute or solving a business challenge. Now the world's largest law firm, Dentons' global team builds agile, tailored solutions to meet the local, national and global needs of private and public clients of any size in more than 125 locations serving 50-plus countries. www.dentons.com.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.