As a result of the impacts of COVID-19, extraordinary measures have been adopted by the federal, state and municipal governments in relation to tax collection, compliance with ancillary tax obligations and customs procedure simplification.
Among the measures effectively adopted from September 08, 2020, to September 14, 2020, we highlight the following:
- Law No. 14,057/2020: Establishes a discount on federal special judicial order payments.
- State and Federal District
- Law No. 3,650/2020: Extends, to October, November and December, 2020, as applicable, the deadline for payment of ICMS originally due in the period from March 30 to April 30, 2020; from May 1 to June 16, 2020; and from June 17 to July 30, 2020, respectively. The extension applies only to the total or partial estimated ICMS (ICMS due previously to the sale, partially or totally) and to differential tax payments due by companies.
- Law No. 17,277 / 2020: Establishes a special installment program for the payment of ICMS debts related to taxable events that occurred between January 1 and May 31, 2020, and of IPVA debts related to taxable events that occurred on January 1, 2020.
- Mato Grosso:
- Ordinance No. 173/2020-SEFAZ: Extends, until the sixth day of the following month, the term for payment of ICMS due in the period from May through November 2020 by taxpayers in the slaughterhouse or meat refrigeration business.
- São Paulo:
- TIT Ordinance No. 14/2020: Extends, until September 19, 2020, the suspension of terms related to administrative proceedings and in-person assistance on administrative tax litigation, as well as the administrative proceedings deadlines related to the collection of the Motor Vehicle Property Tax ("IPVA") defined by State Decree No. 54,714/2009.
- Normative Instruction No. 40/2020/GAB/CRE: Establishes that on September 14, 2020, deadlines will be reinstated for the completion of state tax audits, which were suspended between March 23, 2020, and September 13, 2020.
- Rio de Janeiro:
- Law nº 9.005/2020: Authorizes the State to implement the National Support Program for Micro and Small Enterprises (Pronampe), instituted by Federal Law No. 13,999, of May 18, 2020.
- Municipal Law No. 2,676/2020: Reopens the term to enroll in the Manaus Amnesty Program (Refis Municipal)—from October 1, 2020, until December 31, 2020.
Visit us at Tauil & Chequer
Founded in 2001, Tauil & Chequer Advogados is a full service law firm with approximately 90 lawyers and offices in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Vitória. T&C represents local and international businesses on their domestic and cross-border activities and offers clients the full range of legal services including: corporate and M&A; debt and equity capital markets; banking and finance; employment and benefits; environmental; intellectual property; litigation and dispute resolution; restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency; tax; and real estate. The firm has a particularly strong and longstanding presence in the energy, oil and gas and infrastructure industries as well as with pension and investment funds. In December 2009, T&C entered into an agreement to operate in association with Mayer Brown LLP and become "Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown LLP."
© Copyright 2020. Tauil & Chequer Advogados, a Brazilian law partnership with which Mayer Brown is associated. All rights reserved.
This article provides information and comments on legal issues and developments of interest. The foregoing is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject matter covered and is not intended to provide legal advice. Readers should seek specific legal advice before taking any action with respect to the matters discussed herein.