- Shareholder claims revisited - what is the current position following the recent Steinhoff and African Bank judgments?
- When can shareholders sue directors/ prescribed officers and/ or auditors for loss they've suffered?
- When can they use the class action or derivative action procedures?
- Is there a future for shareholder class actions in these circumstances?
- Do directors/ prescribed officers no longer need to fear class actions by shareholders?
Join dispute resolution partners, Tim Gordon-Grant and James McKinnell, as they discuss potential claims by shareholders against directors and auditors of companies in light of two important recent judgments: Dorothea De Bruyn v Steinhoff International Holdings N.V. and 41 others, High Court (click here to download the judgement), and Steinhoff and Hlumisa Investment Holdings (RF) Ltd v L Kirkinis, Supreme Court of Appeal (click here to download the judgement).
The discussion will focus on the impact of these judgements on common law and the statutory duties of directors and auditors to shareholders, claims for pure economic and reflective loss, and class action suits.
This webinar should be of interest to anyone holding shares, whether in a personal or representative capacity, anyone who serves as a director or prescribed officer, auditors and those who advise on any of the above.
Wed, 16 Sep 2020
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.