The H-4 visa, which allows spouses and dependent children of H-1B visa holders to reside temporarily in the U.S., is an important benefit for foreign nationals that makes relocating overseas more attractive.

For spouses on H-4 status, it is often even possible to seek work authorization under the H-4 Employment Authorization Documentation (EAD) program.

However, recent government proposals have put the status of this program into jeopardy. 

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.