Effective October 6, 2019, the UK's Shortage Occupation List was amended to include new occupations for the Tier 2 General category. These occupations include:
- SOC code 2135 – IT business analysts, architects, and system designers roles
- SOC code 2136 – Program and software development roles
- SOC code 2137 – Web design and development professional roles
- SOC code 2139 – Cyber security specialists
- SOC code 2121 – Civil Engineering roles
- SOC code 2431 – Architects
- SOC code 5434 – Skilled Chefs
If applying under a Tier 2 shortage role, the company is not required to advertise for the position. There are also other advantages such as lower application fees, priority allocation for Certificate of Sponsorships once the cap is reached, and when applying for Permanent Residence, the shortage worker does not need to meet the minimum earnings threshold.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.