Ahmad Hisham Hassan, a Kuwaiti trader, filed on 24 December 2005 a trademark application for "UNOSPRESSO" in class 42 under no. 74116. The application was published on 27 June 2010, subject to opposition for a period of one month.
Acting on behalf of our client, Mr. Bilal Mohmmad Al Hamwi, a Syrian manufacturer and trader, we submitted an opposition against the above trademark based on the following:
- Our client is the real owner of the mark.
- The word mark UNOSPRESSO was invented by our client.
- Prior registration of our client's mark in Kuwait.
- UNOSPRESSO is registered by our client in many countries around the world prior to the opposed mark.
- Allowing the registration of UNOSPRESSO by Ahmad Hisham Hassan will confuse the consumers as to the origin of the services provided under this trademark.
The defendant submitted his counter statement against the opposition, but the Registrar, after reviewing the file and the evidence in hand, decided to stop the registration procedure of the said trademark.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.