Between December 26, 2012 and January 25, 2013, the Secretariat of Foreign Trade (SECEX) of the Ministry of Development, Industry and Foreign Trade (MDIC) has initiated four new antidumping investigations and one new sunset review, as follows:
- Circular SECEX N. 69, of 26 December 2012: initiated an anti-dumping investigation on the imports of porcelain tableware (NCM 6911.10.10, 6911.10.90, 6911.90.00 and 6912.00.00) from China, upon request of Oxford Porcelanas S.A. and Indústria e Comércio de Porcelanas Tirolesa Ltda.;
- Circular SECEX N. 70, of December 27, 2012: initiated an anti-dumping investigation on the imports of acrylic threads (NCMs 5509.31.00, 5509.32.00, 5509.61.00, 5509.62.00 and 5509.69.00) from Indonesia, upon request of Paramount Têxteis Indústria e Comércio S.A.;
- Circular SECEX N. 01, of January 03, 2013: initiated an anti-dumping investigation on the imports of liquid epoxy resins (NCM 3907.30.11, 3907.30.19, 3907.30.21, 3907.30.22 and 3907.30.29) from South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, China, India and Taiwan, upon request of Dow Southeast Industrial Ltda.;
- Circular SECEX N. 04, of January 08, 2013: initiated an anti-dumping investigation on the imports of glass for use in household refrigeration appliances (NCM 7007.19.00) from China, upon request of the Brazilian Technical Association of the Automatic Glass Industries – ABIVIDRO; and
- Circular SECEX N. 07, of January 25, 2013: initiated a sunset review of the antidumping duties applied to the imports of reduced indigo blue (NCM 3204.15.90) from Germany, upon request of Bann Química Ltda.
The anti-dumping investigations and the sunset reviews are carried out by the Department of Trade Remedies (DECOM), a technical body of MDIC, and last approximately twelve months. The anti-dumping investigation may or may not result in the application of an anti-dumping duty, which will remain in force for five years. The sunset reviews may result in the maintenance of the duty, with elevation or reduction of the applied duty rate, or may result in the suspension of the anti-dumping duty.
With regard to anti-dumping investigations and sunset reviews, the involvement of exporters and importers is of great importance since the information provided to DECOM has direct influence on the results of these proceedings.
The International Trade Team of Felsberg and Associates will be pleased to provide additional information to companies and class entities who wish for more information regarding this matter or that are interested in participating in the sunset review or investigation mentioned above.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.