The Winter 2022 edition of the Asia Tax Bulletin covers many different tax developments in ASEAN, Greater China, Japan, Korea and India including important updates such as:
- PRC's tax reliefs to facilitate debt settlements in the country.
- Hong Kong's tax incentive for family-owned investment funds.
- India's case law ruling that beneficial ownership is not required under India's tax treaty with Mauritius in order to still enjoy the capital gains tax exemption under the treaty and Indonesia's Harmonisation Law, to name just a few.
- Hong Kong's and Malaysia's new tax rules for foreign
sourced investment income, which were prompted by the European
Union's threat to otherwise put both jurisdictions on its
Blacklist of Tax Havens, would have had serious economic
- Hong Kong's proposed law, with a few changes, took effect from 1 January 2023. The new tax rules represent a profound change in the way Hong Kong taxes foreign investment income.
- On 29 December 2022, Malaysia added the requirement to have sufficient economic substance in Malaysia in order to enjoy tax exemption on foreign dividends received in Malaysia, which surprised the local business community. The conditions for tax exemption have retroactive effect to 1 January 2022.It will be interesting to watch for transactions which occurred prior to 29 December 2022, how the IRB can enforce a condition which taxpayers could not have been aware of.
These and other news items are discussed in this edition. Please read the Bulletin from the links below:
Visit us at mayerbrown.com
Mayer Brown is a global legal services provider comprising legal practices that are separate entities (the "Mayer Brown Practices"). The Mayer Brown Practices are: Mayer Brown LLP and Mayer Brown Europe - Brussels LLP, both limited liability partnerships established in Illinois USA; Mayer Brown International LLP, a limited liability partnership incorporated in England and Wales (authorized and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and registered in England and Wales number OC 303359); Mayer Brown, a SELAS established in France; Mayer Brown JSM, a Hong Kong partnership and its associated entities in Asia; and Tauil & Chequer Advogados, a Brazilian law partnership with which Mayer Brown is associated. "Mayer Brown" and the Mayer Brown logo are the trademarks of the Mayer Brown Practices in their respective jurisdictions.
© Copyright 2020. The Mayer Brown Practices. All rights reserved.
This Mayer Brown article provides information and comments on legal issues and developments of interest. The foregoing is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject matter covered and is not intended to provide legal advice. Readers should seek specific legal advice before taking any action with respect to the matters discussed herein.