The Hong Kong government gazetted the Discrimination Legislation (Miscellaneous Amendments) Bill 2018 (the "Bill") today (30 November 2018).
The Bill seeks to amend the Sex Discrimination Ordinance (Cap. 480) ("SDO"), the Disability Discrimination Ordinance (Cap. 487) ("DDO"), the Family Status Discrimination Ordinance (Cap. 527) ("FSDO") and the Race Discrimination Ordinance (Cap. 602) ("RDO") to implement eight of the prioritised recommendations provided in the Equal Opportunities Commission's Report on the Discrimination Law Review.
The proposed amendments are:
- To provide for express provisions in the SDO to make discrimination on the ground of breastfeeding unlawful;
- To extend protection from harassment and direct racial discrimination to cover on the ground of the race of an associate;
- To expand the meaning of race and racial group in the RDO to include a race that is imputed to a person;
- To provide express provisions in the SDO, DDO and RDO expanding the scope of protection from sexual, disability and racial harassment at a workplace;
- To strengthen the protection to service providers against disability and racial harassment by customers under the DDO and RDO;
- To prohibit certain acts of disability and racial harassment between service providers and customers which take place outside Hong Kong but on Hong Kong registered aircraft and ships;
- To add provisions in the SDO and DDO to make sexual and disability harassment against members or applicants for membership of a club unlawful; and
- To remove the intention requirement for an award of damages for certain acts of indirect discrimination under the SDO, FSDO and RDO.
The First Reading of the Bill and the commencement of Second Reading Debate are scheduled to take place on 12 December 2018.
The Bill is available at:
Originally published 30 November 2018
Visit us at www.mayerbrownjsm.com
Mayer Brown is a global legal services organization comprising legal practices that are separate entities (the Mayer Brown Practices). The Mayer Brown Practices are: Mayer Brown LLP, a limited liability partnership established in the United States; Mayer Brown International LLP, a limited liability partnership incorporated in England and Wales; Mayer Brown JSM, a Hong Kong partnership, and its associated entities in Asia; and Tauil & Chequer Advogados, a Brazilian law partnership with which Mayer Brown is associated. "Mayer Brown" and the Mayer Brown logo are the trademarks of the Mayer Brown Practices in their respective jurisdictions.
© Copyright 2018. The Mayer Brown Practices. All rights reserved.
This article provides information and comments on legal issues and developments of interest. The foregoing is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject matter covered and is not intended to provide legal advice. Readers should seek specific legal advice before taking any action with respect to the matters discussed herein. Please also read the JSM legal publications Disclaimer.