Four partners in Stikeman Elliott’s Real Estate group recently co-authored the Canadian chapter of the Real Estate Global Practice Guide, published by U.K-based Chambers and Partners. This publication provides an excellent overview of real estate law across Canada, with a focus on the following topics, among many others:
- Property rights and transfers of title;
- Real estate due diligence;
- Typical representations and warranties;
- Canadian restrictions on foreign investors;
- Financing commercial real estate acquisitions;
- Granting of security over real estate;
- Borrower default or insolvency;
- Planning and zoning law in Canada;
- Common real estate investment vehicles;
- Commercial lease arrangements;
- Pricing and risk-management of construction projects; and
- Taxation issues affecting commercial real estate.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.