Thu, Dec 15, 2022 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM GMT
Federal and State agencies continue to focus on the improper classification of employees as independent contractors. On October 13, 2022, the U.S. Department of Labor ("DOL") published a proposed rule that would revise its prior guidance on how to determine who is an employee or an independent contractor under the Fair Labor Standards Act. As mentioned during the Firm's Annual Employment Seminar, the Internal Revenue Service ("IRS") published Tax Tip 2022-117, to reinforce the IRS's three-factor test for determining who is an employee or an independent contractor under the Internal Revenue Code. Finally, various states continue focus on heavily on the misclassification of employees as independent contractors.
In response to the increased guidance and scrutiny on the use of independent contractors, Frank and Kevin will:
- summarize the DOL's proposed rule and discuss its impact,
- review the IRS's three-factor test,
- summarize the rules in several states, including California, Illinois, and Michigan,
- discuss the implications and risks of misclassification, and
- provide insights on properly classifying individuals engaged by your company.
All sessions will be submitted for 60 minutes of HRCI and SHRM general recertification credit.