Upcoming legislation changes 

On 17 April 2019 we will see the following changes to migration legislation: 

  • the temporary Parent visa will be open for applications
  • the Family Violence and Other Measures Act commences requiring a sponsor be approved before any visa application can be lodged. This will create a two-step application process for all family sponsored visas including the partner/spouse visa
  • visitor visas can be cancelled at the point of arrival in cases where a person has attempted to deceive a biosecurity officer about the presence of prohibited items in their luggage or possessions. 

2019 Federal budget announcements 

  • visa application charges will increase by 5.4 per cent from 1 July 2019 which is expected to increase revenue by $275 million. There will be no increase to second visa application charges
  • reduction of the migration program planning levels to 160,000 for the next four years
  • Work and Holiday Visa Cap for Indonesian citizens will be increased to 5000 over the next six years 
  • Skilling Australia Fund levy is forecast to generate $126 million less than previously expected
  • new regional visas announced to replace the Subclass 187 Regional Skilled Migration Scheme and Subclass 489 Skilled Regional visas
  • extension of the Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate visa for regional graduates providing an additional 12 month second post-study work visa which will give three years in total 
  • Designation Australia Program – providing scholarships for international and domestic students to study in regional Australia. 

Over the next few weeks we will provide information about the new sponsorship arrangements for family visas as well as information about the new regional visas. 

This publication does not deal with every important topic or change in law and is not intended to be relied upon as a substitute for legal or other advice that may be relevant to the reader's specific circumstances. If you have found this publication of interest and would like to know more or wish to obtain legal advice relevant to your circumstances please contact one of the named individuals listed.