Below, please find issue 37 of ENSafrica's tax in brief, a snapshot of the latest tax developments in South Africa.
- no new case law noted
legislation and draft legislation
- no new legislation/draft legislation noted
advance tax rulings
- binding private ruling 330 |
distributions of dividends and other amounts from a trust to
beneficiaries on termination of their employment.
- section 1(1) – definition of "gross income"; 8C; and 10(1)(k)(i) of the Income Tax Act, 1962 (the "Act").
- paragraph 1 of the Fourth Schedule to the Act– definition of "remuneration".
- this ruling determines the tax consequences of the distributions of dividends and other amounts on the termination of employment of trust beneficiaries.
- find a copy of the ruling here.
- Guide on the Determination of Medical
Tax Credits (issue 10)
- this guide provides general guidelines regarding the medical scheme fees tax credit and additional medical expenses tax credit for income tax purposes.
- find a copy of the guide here.
- draft interpretation note 16 (issue
3) | exemption from income tax: foreign employment income
- section 10(1)(o)(ii) of the Income Tax Act, 1962 (the "Act")
- this note discusses the interpretation and application of the foreign employment remuneration exemption in section 10(1)(o)(ii).
- due dates for comments: 1 November 2019
- find a copy of the draft interpretation note here
- Frequently Asked Questions:
Foreign Employment Income Exemption
- an amendment to section 10(1)(o)(ii) of the Act has been promulgated and will come into effect on 1 March 2020. The Frequently Asked Questions in this document have been compiled on the basis of questions that employees, employers and the public at large have about the implications of the amendment.
- find a copy of the FAQs here.
- interpretation note 99 (issue 2) |
- paragraph 4(1) of the Second Schedule to the Act.
- this note explains the treatment of lump sum benefits classified as unclaimed benefits that accrued to members (both before and from 1 March 2009) for income tax purposes.
- find a copy of this interpretation note here.
- no new exchange control circulars noted
To view the full article click here
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.