The William Fry Fintech Group has designed this FAQ to answer some essential regulatory questions relating to crypto-assets and help firms navigate this often complex, and continually evolving, regulatory landscape. The FAQ addresses:
- What is a crypto-asset?
- What are the various types of crypto-assets?
- Is there a specific regime regulating crypto-assets in Ireland?
- How are crypto-assets addressed under the AML/CTF regulatory regime in Ireland
- What are initial coin offerings (ICOs) and which regulatory requirements apply to ICOs in Ireland?
- What are the key risks in relation to crypto-assets identified by regulators?
- Are there any proposals for the future regulation of crypto-assets?
See our briefing below for responses to these questions. Further, see here for the Financial Regulation Unit briefing on the proposed legislative framework for Markets in Crypto-Assets which will impact these issues when that framework enters into force.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.