Joint ventures and other collaborations between companies are becoming more and more important across the energy sector. In the oil and gas industry, continued price volatility and the increasing technical challenges of producing from unconventional sources has led to a host of joint ventures designed to spread risk and costs and provide access to reserves. Meanwhile, in the renewable energy field, demand continues to grow for solar, biofuels, and wind energy, leading companies to collaborate to acquire innovative technology and bring renewable projects online.
While joint ventures and other collaborations can help overcome technological limitations, mitigate risk, and decrease the costs of bringing technology to market, they can also create potential pitfalls for companies with intellectual property assets. This is particularly true in joint ventures between companies competing in the same industry.
In this webinar, we will discuss best practices for protecting IP rights in joint ventures and other collaborations, as well as practical tips for avoiding common IP pitfalls, including:
- What due diligence should a company perform before teaming up with another company (or even an industry competitor)?
- What is the best way to define the scope of your rights and document your company's IP contributions to the joint venture or collaboration?
- Special considerations for protecting and maintaining trade secrets;
- Ownership considerations for any jointly owned IP created during the course of the collaboration; and
- Thinking ahead to termination of the joint venture.
Register: There is no charge to attend this program. Please register by Tuesday, December 5, 2018. Webinar access and dial-in information will be sent upon registration.
Scheduling Conflict? Finnegan records all hosted webinars. To view the recorded program, simply register for the webinar and you will receive an access link shortly after the live program is complete.
Wednesday, December 5, 2018
10:00-11:00 a.m. PST
1:00-2:00 p.m. EST