29 April 2024

Jersey Introduces Licensing Scheme For Landlords



Ogier  logo
Ogier provides legal advice on BVI, Cayman, Guernsey, Irish, Jersey and Luxembourg law. Our network of locations also includes Beijing, Hong Kong, London, Shanghai, Singapore and Tokyo. Legal services for the corporate and financial sectors form the core of our business, principally in the areas of banking and finance, corporate, investment funds, dispute resolution, private equity and private wealth. We also have strong practices in the areas of employee benefits and incentives, employment law, regulatory, restructuring and corporate recovery and property. Our corporate administration business, Ogier Global, works closely with Ogier's partner-led legal teams to incorporate and administer a wide variety of vehicles, offering clients integrated legal and corporate administration services. We have the knowledge and expertise to handle the most demanding and complex transactions and provide expert, efficient and cost effective services to all our clients.
The Government of Jersey has introduced a new legal requirement for the rental sector as part of its work to improve the standards of rental accommodation on the island.
Jersey Real Estate and Construction
To print this article, all you need is to be registered or login on

The Government of Jersey has introduced a new legal requirement for the rental sector as part of its work to improve the standards of rental accommodation on the island.

Under the Public Health and Safety (Rented Dwellings) (Licensing) (Jersey) Regulations 2023 (the Regulations), from 1 May 2024 all landlords in Jersey will need to have a Rented Dwellings Licence for each unit of residential property that they rent out.

There will be a transitional period of three months. Current landlords can apply at any time before 31 July 2024 to be granted a licence without a pre-inspection taking place.

Affected properties

The Regulations only apply to rented residential dwellings (apartments or houses, including any social housing). They do not apply to commercial tenancies.

Properties such as lodging houses, tourist accommodations, and nursing / care homes are separately regulated, so are not covered by the Regulations.

Application process

From 1 May 2024, a landlord should apply online for a licence for each dwelling that they wish to rent out or continue to rent out. The application fee is £60. If granted, a licence is valid for a period of two years. If a property is sold, its licence can be transferred to the new owner.

Once you apply, before a licence is granted, the Minister may wish to inspect the dwelling to ensure it is up to certain minimum safety standards and there is no prescribed hazard in the dwelling.

The Government has introduced minimum safety standards relating to matters such as electrical safety, gas safety, and smoke detection along with a list of prescribed hazards.

The Government has provided a landlords' toolkit which also details the Code of Practice and a summary of the guidance. Events offering further information and guidance, hosted by the Government, will be held across Jersey this week (22 April – 26 April).

We recommend that you check your rental properties comply with these requirements.

Granting and withdrawing licences

If your property needs improvement, you may still be granted a licence. However, the Minister can impose certain conditions to ensure the necessary improvements are made by a specified date.

The Minister may also choose to refuse a licence but must give reasons for the refusal and information about your right to appeal.

Equally, the Minister can withdraw a licence if there is a prescribed hazard and / or if a standard licence condition has not been complied with. Again, reasons must be given along with details of the appeal process.


It will be illegal for a landlord to rent out a home in Jersey without a licence for that dwelling. Failure to have a licence will result in penalties, including a fine of up to £10,000 and potentially being unable to rent out that property until a licence is granted (which may mean doing certain works to bring it up to standard).

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

See More Popular Content From

Mondaq uses cookies on this website. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies as set out in our Privacy Policy.

Learn More