In 2020, employers were faced with unprecedented legal challenges brought on by the pandemic. Meanwhile, the courts and tribunals issued landmark decisions that will have a significant continuing impact on employers well after the pandemic is over.
This session highlights some of the most significant legal developments of 2020 affecting employers and practical tips on how to respond. The topics include:
- "ESA-only" termination clauses in employment contracts – do they still work?
- Special employment standards rules on layoffs caused by the pandemic and what to expect when the pandemic ends
- COVID-related health and safety appeals
- The latest word from the Supreme Court of Canada on the duty of good faith performance in contracts and its impact on employers
- Workers' compensation changes and COVID relief
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.