After you have made your decision, it is important to consult a lawyer to understand the issues at stake (property to be divided, custody of a child to be established, support to be paid, etc.).

Once these matters are clarified, you must determine the appropriate and desired approach. There are several possible approaches: you can try to work things out directly with your spouse, go to mediation, send through your lawyer a written offer to settle, or arrange a meeting with lawyers to try to reach an out-of-court settlement. In some cases, it may be required or preferable to undertake procedures directly. Your lawyer will advise you on the best course of action according to your situation.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.