On August 1 2020, the Bermuda Government launched the 'Work From Bermuda Residential Certificate'. The Certificate, once granted, allows individuals to work remotely from Bermuda.
If successful, applicants will be considered long-term visitors and have the ability to live and work remotely from Bermuda for a one-year period, buy or rent a vehicle, rent property and have the flexibility of travelling back and forth.
Applying for the Certificate
The application can be accessed on the Government of Bermuda website1 .
The application draws a non-refundable fee of $263. Once submitted, applicants should receive a response by email within five business days. An income earner with dependents should submit one form for each family member and all related applications must be submitted on the same day.
The 12-month time period begins on the date the Work From Bermuda Certificate is issued. The Certificate is renewable on a case-by-case basis although there is no guarantee of renewal and it is not automatic - a new application must be submitted. Those who require a period longer than 12 months should consider other options.
Criteria for a Work from Bermuda Certificate
The applicant must:
- be at least 18 years old and pay the application fee;
- not have been convicted of a crime in Bermuda or elsewhere;
- possess valid health insurance coverage;
- have substantial means and/or have a continuous source of annual income
- demonstrate employment with a legitimate company or your own company registered and operating outside of Bermuda, in the case of a remote worker;
- provide evidence of enrollment in a Research, Undergraduate, Graduate or Doctorate Programme, in the case of a student;
Benefits of Living and Working Remotely in Bermuda
There are various benefits which are applicable to living and working in Bermuda under the Certificate scheme, including:
- The application fee for the Certificate is much lower than other countries offering similar programs;
- Bermuda is easily accessible with direct flights between Bermuda and the US, Canada and the UK. Bermuda is less than a two-hour flight from New York;
- Bermuda operates in Atlantic Standard Time which is ideal for serving global markets;
- The island is generally a safe and secure place to live with a stable political and economic climate with a lowcrime rate, a top-tier healthcare system and good quality public and private schools. Certificate holders' children may attend public or private schools in Bermuda; and
- Bermuda has been extremely successful at managing and controlling the coronavirus pandemic, having one of the most stringent testing regimes in the world; the island is virtually free of COVID-19.
Short Term Stays
Bermuda permits visitors to stay in the jurisdiction up to 3 to 6 months.
Co-authored by Amelia Oatley (Pupil)
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.