Uruguay has been experiencing a large increase in immigration, particularly from Venezuela, Cuba and the Dominican Republic. This influx of people from tropical climates has seen the arrival of new diseases not previously prevalent in Uruguay. As a result the Ministry of Public Health issued Decree No 136/18, which requires that all those applying for permanent residence in Uruguay must show that they have current vaccinations.

Decree 136/18 - Modifications:

Previously the only requirement to get a medical certificate for residence purposes was an up to date tetanus jab.

The authorities now require proof that adults (over 18) in addition have the Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccination. The Decree does not state that it has to be legalized/apostilled, but we would advise to get it legalized/apostilled to avoid problems. We understand that a translation will not be necessary if the certificate is in a Roman alphabet language. Otherwise a translation will be required.

For under 18's they must show they have been given all the vaccines required for Uruguayan children. These are currently: measles (at 5 years old), Hib B vaccine, chickenpox, hepatitis B (at 12 years old), diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus, hepatitis A, pneumococcal conjugate 13 valent (PCV), polio.

It should be noted that if the applicant cannot show they have been given these vaccinations they can simply go to any vaccination centre to get the vaccinations done. They can be done free at any public health centre or paid at a private one.

Exceptions: If a person can show an allergy or other medical condition which means they should not have a vaccination, then this is sufficient to exclude the requirement.


The Decree points out that it is already a requirement for Uruguayan nationals to have these vaccination and so by enforcing it on applicants for residence it is no more than requiring equality of treatment. Also since vaccinations can be done free of charge in public health centres, it is not a financial burden for applicants. For most applicants though it will be easier to bring a vaccination certificate with them.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.