Data privacy laws take effect during 2023 in California, Virginia, Colorado, Utah, and Connecticut. Specifically:
- California Privacy Rights Act, effective January 1, 2023
- Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act, effective January 1, 2023
- Colorado Privacy Act, effective July 1, 2023
- Connecticut Data Privacy Act, effective July 1, 2023
- Utah Consumer Privacy Act, effective December 31, 2023
Other states are actively considering the implementation of a comprehensive privacy law.
Currently, the United States does not have a federal data privacy law. In May 2022, a bipartisan group of legislators introduced the American Data Privacy and Protection Act ("ADPPA"), which includes federal preemption of state laws with some exceptions, such as a limited private right of action for certain privacy violations.
As we enter the last quarter of 2022, make preparations to comply with the new state data privacy laws.
Disclaimer: This Alert has been prepared and published for informational purposes only and is not offered, nor should be construed, as legal advice. For more information, please see the firm's full disclaimer.