Walkers is pleased to announce that it has retained its top tier ranking for 'Offshore' legal services in the 2021 Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific guide. The commentary includes:
"Finance giants with impressive knowledge across BVI and Cayman law. Active in structured and asset finance, including aircraft and maritime matters, as well as capital markets. Also possesses considerable investment fund capabilities and a notable corporate/M&A offering. Maintains a leading litigation practice that is active on shareholder disputes and contentious distressed debt matters for investment banks, funds, companies and insolvency practitioners. Well equipped to provide Bermuda law advice, working closely with the Walkers Bermuda team, and offering capability locally through the secondment of Bermuda qualified practitioners to the Hong Kong office. Serves an impressive list of private equity and hedge funds, financial institutions and corporations. Clients also benefit from its multilingual practitioners, housing a number of Mandarin and Cantonese speakers."
"One impressed source says: "They're strong across the board and good at finding practical solutions - it's the hallmark of Walkers' practice. I never feel I'm one of a million clients that they have; they are very engaging and come back with solutions to the problems. We can absolutely rely on them to get it done correctly and efficiently."
Walkers also received a jurisdiction-leading eight lawyer rankings, three more rankings than the next Asia-based offshore law firm.
Walkers' Singapore managing partner John Rogers commented: "I am delighted to see that the hard work performed by our practices across the Asian region has been recognised by this leading legal directory."
Hong Kong managing partner Andy Randall said: "We are pleased to see further independent feedback that confirms our position at the very top of the Asia market for offshore legal advice."
- Andy Randall is well recognised for his capital markets work, regularly advising on secured note issuances, securitisations and derivative transactions. One client considers him to be a "top-notch practitioner who knows his product area and the market." He is the managing partner of the Hong Kong office.
- Hong Kong-based Denise Wong receives widespread endorsement and stands out for her expertise in private equity and hedge fund matters, working with many sponsors on fund formation and investment mandates. "She's great," one client enthuses, adding: "She is very client-oriented and very commercial. She really wants to know what the client wants and creates a win-win situation."
- James Gaden has extensive experience advising private equity and hedge fund managers on various fund formation, structuring and investment matters. He wins much acclaim from market sources, one noting: "He is the complete package - he has excellent technical skills, superb client skills and is easy to work with. He knows the market very well and always finds good, practical solutions to the problems."
- John Rogers is a well-regarded figure in the offshore legal world. He leads the Singapore office as managing partner and offers expert advice on finance and corporate transactions.
- Hong Kong-based Kristen Kwok specialises in banking and finance work, with notable knowledge in the debt capital markets and structured finance areas. Sources appreciate her solution-based and proactive approach.
- Singapore-based Laura Rogers has a growing reputation in the market, offering advice on a range of corporate work including private equity, hedge fund and joint venture matters. "Laura is a highly experienced lawyer," one interviewee asserts, and goes on to say: "Clients appreciate her advice, which is always well grounded, practical and takes account of her detailed understanding of funds."
- Thomas Granger is based in the Singapore office and offers advice on private equity and investment fund matters. Not only regarded for his Japan-related work, a commentator also notes: "We benefit from his vast experience and familiarity with the Asia-Pacific funds market." Another source adds: "He is a strong technical lawyer who comes up with practical solutions."
- Paul Aherne handles corporate and financing transactions and is regularly engaged by financial institutions and large corporations. One client says: "He is commercial and easy to work with. His services are excellent value for money."