The secondary laws of the energy sector, which comprise the Energy Reform approved on December 20, 2013, consisting of nine new laws and twelve that were amended, were published on August 11, 2014, in the Federal Official Gazette.
Among the imminent actions announced yesterday by the Federal Executive related to expediting the implementation of the Energy Reform through the secondary laws referred to above, the following stand out:
- On August 12, 2014, the areas within "Ronda Cero" that the President, through the Ministry of Energy, will assign to "Petroleos Mexicanos" (PEMEX) for the exploration and exploitation of hydrocarbons will be made known.
- At the latest, on August 15, 2014, new zones for exploration and hydrocarbon extraction fields in which PEMEX will take part with private investment will be made known, comprising the "First Round" ("Ronda Uno").
- In the work of developing the "First Round", bidding schemes, exploration, extraction of hydrocarbons and natural gas will be defined, as well as the sectors in which PEMEX may take part with third parties. The basis for the bidding will be made known during the first trimester of 2015.
- Before the month of August is over, the decrees by means of which the National Center for Energy Control (CENACE) and the National Center for Gas Control (CENAGAS) will be created will be published.
- Nominations for members of the Energy Regulatory Commission (CRE), the National Center for Hydrocarbons Control (CNH), the independent members of PEMEX, and of the Federal Electricity Commission must also be made known during August.
- Within the next 90 days, a decree will be issued to create the National Security and Hydrocarbon Environmental Protection Agency.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.