Audible sighs of relief were heard from Industrial Design proprietors in October 2010 when welcome news broke of the possibility of filing industrial design applications in Oman. This is a long awaited development after two years of standstill since the issuance of the implementing regulations of the Industrial Design Law No. 67/2008. Industrial Design proprietors may now look forward to having their valuable industrial design rights registered in Oman, paving the way for effective enforcement thereof as part of their overall IP protection strategy. This marks an important step in the development of industrial design protection in Oman.
While applications have been received by the Registry, the Omani Intellectual Property Department has yet to disclose specific details regarding the particulars of examination, publication, registration and renewal.
- Power of attorney legalized up to the Omani Embassy/Consulate.
- Description of designs showing the claimed features of novelty.
- Samples of the design to be protected.
- Certified copy of the Certificate of Incorporation of the applicant, an extract of the Commercial Register or any equivalent document.
- Deed of Assignment from the designer(s) to the applicant, as appropriate.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.