We would like to remind federally-regulated employers that they are generally required to post a notice informing their employees of their obligations under the Pay Equity Act by November 1, 2021. The government has published a template notice and guidance here. Key things to keep in mind include:
- Employers can draft their own notice or use the form of notice posted by the Canadian Human Rights Commission (here).
- If the employer has between 10 and 99 non-union employees, the notice must include (among other things):
- the date of the posting;
- a description of the employer's obligation to establish a pay equity plan; and
- if the employer chooses to establish a pay equity committee, the requirements for pay equity committee membership and the right of employees to designate committee members.
- If the employer employs 100 or more employees or is unionized, the notice must include (among other things):
- the date of posting;
- a description of the employer's obligation to create a pay equity plan and form a pay equity committee; and
- the requirements for pay equity committee membership and the right to select committee members.
- The notice must be posted in such a way as to be readily available to all employees, and may be in print or electronic form.
For further information, please refer to our previous publication here.
Stay tuned for our on-demand webinar concerning practical steps to achieve compliance with the new requirements under the Pay Equity Act.
About Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Norton Rose Fulbright is a global law firm. We provide the world's preeminent corporations and financial institutions with a full business law service. We have 3800 lawyers and other legal staff based in more than 50 cities across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
Recognized for our industry focus, we are strong across all the key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare.
Wherever we are, we operate in accordance with our global business principles of quality, unity and integrity. We aim to provide the highest possible standard of legal service in each of our offices and to maintain that level of quality at every point of contact.
For more information about Norton Rose Fulbright, see nortonrosefulbright.com/legal-notices.
Law around the world
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.