On Jan. 14, one of the largest producers of olive oil in the Mediterranean announced it would begin using blockchain to create a provenance record for its oils. The company announced it would use the Food Trust blockchain to provide traceability of its olive oils across eight quality assurance checkpoints, stretching from the retailer through the orchard where the olives were grown to the tree from which the olives were harvested. Starting with the company's most recent harvest, now being bottled, customers around the world will be able to scan a QR code on each label to view a provenance record. Since harvest began in November, data has been uploaded to the distributed ledger; bottles are expected to reach store shelves by March.
Container shipping lines have been prohibited from working together on certain matters without oversight from the U.S. Federal Maritime Commission (FMC), but that is set to change. Under the TradeLens Agreement, which will come into effect on Feb. 5, those laws will be loosened to authorize companies to cooperate in providing data to the blockchain so that shippers, authorities and other parties can exchange information on supply chain events and documents. Launched in August 2018, TradeLens has grown to include more than 100 participants and has processed more than 10 million shipping events. Since May 2019, it has accounted for more than half of global cargo traffic.
A software provider for the advertising world announced its first partner that will use blockchain technology to provide transparency in the media supply chain. The integration will reportedly make visible programmatic supply path details tied to financial and contractual data. In another media industry development, one of the largest U.S. television providers has filed a patent application for a new "anti-piracy management system" that would leverage blockchain to allow owners to track how their content is being used. According to the filing, one of the chief problems with online streaming has been the difficulty in combating content piracy. Along with enhancing oversight of copyright infringement, the patent pending system, would also seek to help platforms enforce ownership rights and pursue publishers that use content without permission.
In what is reported to be the largest- ever real estate transaction funded exclusively by tokens, a Swiss blockchain-focused investment firm announced on Wednesday that it had agreed to buy a majority stake in a Zurich-based commercial property. The company paid 130 million Swiss francs ($134.9 million) to purchase 80% of Bahnhofstrasse 52, an office and retail building, and will have the option to purchase the remaining 20% of the property within nine months. The company has offices in Berlin, Zurich and Zug, Switzerland, and invests in commercial and residential properties in North America and Europe through capital raised in part through its proprietary token program.
For more information, please refer to the following links:
- CHO Taps IBM Food Trust to Provide Insight on Quality and Origin of Terra Delyssa Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- TradeLens gets US federal approval
- Mediaocean Announces Amino Payments as First Blockchain Partner to Deliver Supply Path Insights for Programmatic Buys
- Dish Network Files Patent for Blockchain-Based Anti-Piracy System
- BrickMark Signs Record $135M Tokenized Real Estate Deal
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.