Meet Barnard's Maria Seloi.
Hospitality is a compound idea that incorporates a number of spiritual values, tightly woven together. Its overarching essence is Love – taking into consideration the artful details of service and protection that warm the senses, satisfy the heart with attentive care and tenderness, provide a rhythm to life's expressions, and furnish a safe haven. Barnard Barista, Maria Seloi, is the very definition of hospitality!
Maria grew up in Ga-Ramela (formerly called Teneriffe), a village in Ga-Matlala in the spectacular Waterberg District of the Limpopo province. She grew up in a happy family of 8 siblings and her parents. "My mother played a huge part in shaping me into the woman I am today," says Maria. "She taught me independence and how to provide for my family."
Maria joined the Barnard team where she received training as a Barista. This is where her gift of hospitality started to shine. "I love it!" she says. "Barnard has provided me with the skill of being a barista and my vision is to teach other people the skill so that they will one day utilise it to find employment in the hospitality industry."
Barnard is a Strength-based organisation. Maria's CliftonStrengths® are a part of what makes her such a strong person and valued member of the Barnard family.
- Maria leads with the Relator strength. She takes great enjoyment from her close relationships with others. Her colleagues fondly describe her as an ever-smiling, caring and supportive friend.
- She also thrives with her Achiever strength. She is always ready and willing to work hard and to go the extra mile. She loves being productive and staying busy! Maria even built her own house – the ultimate act of love and care for her family. "I'm so proud to have provided a place that my kids can call home – a place where they can feel secure."
- Maria has the Arranger strength. She has very strong organisation skills, but she also has a flexibility that complements this ability. She likes to figure out how all manner of things can be arranged for maximum productivity.
- Maria's Learner strength speaks to her great desire to learn and continuously improve. The process of learning, rather than the outcome, brings her joy. She has the dream to still further her studies and become a social worker.
- The last of Maria's top 5 strengths is the Responsibility strength. She takes ownership of what she says she will do, and remains committed to loyalty and honesty above all else.
Maya Angelou said it best; "People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Thank you, Maria for always making us feel welcome and cared for! We hope you have a beautiful birthday today. We're lucky to have you as a part of our family!