Jones Day has been chosen as one of the law firms most recommended by clients to their peers for the 18th consecutive year. The honor is based on unprompted responses from in-depth interviews with more than 350 top legal decision makers conducted by BTI Consulting Group for its annual survey, "The Firms Top Legal Decision Makers Recommend Above All Others."
"These firms stand out above all others—gaining more unprompted recommendations from legal decision makers than all other law firms," BTI explains about the Most Recommended Law Firms for 2019. "These firms exceed client expectations consistently and demonstrate deep understanding of their client's culture, risks, and what their clients really want to accomplish."
Jones Day garnered the coveted unprompted recommendation, which BTI considers "the best and most reliable source of law firm intelligence from a peer" from top legal decision makers at large organizations with at $1 billion in revenue representing more than 15 industry segments.
This year's BTI survey cites five components of superior service:
- Delivering a uniform client experience
- Skill in dealing with complexity
- Ability to understand business risk as well as legal risk
- Making your client's life easier by providing key information and insights before they ever ask
- Unfailing certainty in all aspects of the relationship
"Client service dominates all reasons top legal decision makers recommend their primary law firms to a peer," BTI states. "This has been true for 19 years in a row and shows no sign of abating. These savvy and tough clients keep changing their definition – wanting and expecting more every year – as most clients in every profession do." BTI's exclusive research revealed the following new additions to the definition of client service in 2019:
- Deals comfortably with complexity
- Scalable teams
- Understands business risk and legal risk
- Knows when clients want to win and when they want to settle
- Delivers a uniformly high level of service across the team, practices, offices, and the firm
- Has a dedicated team with a clearly accountable leader
- Shares plans for servicing their needs
- Offers a communication protocol
- Establishes a systematic pattern of updates and case-related discussions
- Provides online dashboards with budget and performance dates
- Always delivers higher service levels
The BTI Most Recommended Law Firms survey "is a data-driven ranking based solely on in-depth telephone interviews with leading legal decision makers. This research is independent and unbiased—no law firm or organization other than BTI sponsors this study. No law firm or attorney influences the results, submits nominations, or provides client names to BTI."
BTI Consulting has also ranked Jones Day #1 in its Client Service A-Team survey for the past three years with the Firm securing "Best of the Best" status in all 17 activities that clients say drive client service.