From December 8th 2007, it is in force the registration of the second level domains (eg. xxxxx.pe), apart from being shorter, easier to remember, the new domains ".pe" are faster to prosecute and can be traded by any one who wishes to do so. Additionally to the aforesaid advantages, the new domains "xxxxx.pe" provide the users other benefits, such as:
- The chance of using special characters like: á, é, í, ó, ú ñ, ü.
- The removal of the current restrictions on registrations of Peruvian toponyms and surnames.
- The registration and payment of a domain name via on-line.
- The elimination of the 10 days period for filing an opposition against a domain name.
The people who think their rights are affected in connection with the registration of a ".pe" domain can resolve their conflicts by means of the application of the new Policies on Disputes Resolution. These new Policies will resolve the disputes arisen from the use of domain names and brand names, under the following circumstances:
- The domain name is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark previously registered or applied for in Peru and over which the plaintiff has rights;
- The applicant of a domain name does not have genuine rights or interests in connection with the relevant domain name; and
- The domain name is used in bath faith.
Finally, the users of a third level domain (eg. xxxxx.com.pe) enjoys a priority right until December 7th 2007 to reserve their second level domain xxxxx.pe in respect to any interested third party.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.