Sign of the times No. 1: Texas Tech University is offering the first U.S. PhD in wind science and engineering.
Sign of the times No. 2: Fate of the world video games predict that global warming will send the world to hell in a hand basket in the next century. It's based on climate models developed by Myles Allen, who heads the University of Oxford's climate dynamics group.
Sign of the times No. 3: The US is suing BP for the Gulf oil spill.
The defendants named in the lawsuit include:
- BP Exploration and Production Inc.;
- Anadarko Exploration & Production LP;
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation;
- MOEX Offshore 2007 LLC;
- Triton Asset Leasing GMBH;
- Transocean Holdings LLC;
- Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling Inc.;
- Transocean Deepwater Inc.; and
QBE Underwriting Ltd./Lloyd's Syndicate 1036.
In the complaint, the United States alleges violations of federal safety and operational regulations, including:
- Failure to take necessary precautions to secure the Macondo Well prior to the April 20th explosion;
- Failure to utilize the safest drilling technology to monitor the well's condition;
- Failure to maintain continuous surveillance of the well; and
- Failure to utilize and maintain equipment and materials that were available and necessary to ensure the safety and protection of personnel, property, natural resources, and the environment.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.