Stikeman Elliott's Employment & Labour Group brings a business-focused approach to the advice they provide employers on all facets of the individual and collective employment relationship, both at the provincial and federal level. With a team that includes seven lawyers focused exclusively on employment and labour matters, the firm's Employment & Labour Group in Western Canada is increasingly being recognized for its deep bench strength.
The team in Western Canada is made up of Gary Clarke, Kris Noonan, Sheena Owens, Cheryl Rea, David Price, Alain Saint-Onge andMaja Blanchette. This Calgary-based, highly skilled group of lawyers is known for delivering advice to employers on a wide range of employment and labour mandates. They set themselves apart by providing counsel in both Alberta and British Columbia, which puts them in a unique position to offer guidance on substantive changes that take place in each province. This dual nature of the Group's practice is a key differentiator for clients who operate in Alberta as well as British Columbia.
The legal industry's most reliable and trusted directories have been recognizing the growing strength of the Group. Most recently, the Group gained prominence as a leading practice in Employment & Labour (Alberta) in Chambers Canada 2022, having increased in ranking to Band 2, one of the fastest rising practices in the guide. Individually, members of the team also achieved recognition in Chambers Canada 2022 in Employment & Labour (Alberta). Gary achieved a Band 1 ranking (the highest accolade) and Kris ranked as an Up and Coming lawyer, which recognizes promising young lawyers. In client interviews, a source remarked: "One thing that really impressed me when I started using them was their timely response," going on to state that "they understand what I'm looking for" and "they do an excellent job."
In addition, Gary and Kris were both again ranked in Best Lawyers in Canada 2022, joined this year by David in the category of "Ones to Watch." This recognition comes on the heels of Kris being selected as a "Lawyer of the Year" for Calgary in one of various categories by Best Lawyers in Canada 2021.
The Group is regularly called upon by media to provide their expertise on a wide range of employment and labour issues, including most recently:
- Why Canadian companies are preparing for a wave of ESG cases coming their way(Financial Post)
- Experts advise good-faith efforts matter in return-to-work plans after drug and alcohol rehabilitation (DATAC)
- Test for family status discrimination in Alberta doesn't need self-accommodation proof: appeal court (Canadian Lawyer Magazine)
- Recent Alberta decisions on "just cause" firing leaning towards employees (Canadian Lawyer Magazine)
- Family-status discrimination issues remain 'minefield' for employers (Benefits Canada)
Throughout the pandemic, the Group has frequently been called upon to provide updates and practical insights on emerging issues affecting the workplace.
The Group also provides cutting-edge knowledge on emerging legal issues and best practices through the firm's Knowledge Hub and legal articles:
- Alberta Court of Appeal Confirms Test for Family Status Discrimination
- Canadian Modern Slavery Bill Would Cast a Wide Net on Supply Chain Transparency Practices
- Alberta Court Upholds Express Employee Agreement on Random Drug and Alcohol Testing
- Terminating "Just Cuz" or for Just Cause? Recent Decisions Maintain a High Threshold for Just Cause Terminations
- Vaccination Requirements and the Canadian Workplace: Anticipating the Next Big Question of the Pandemic
Learn more about Stikeman Elliott's Employment & Labour Group.