On January 31, 2020, US. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued a new version of the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Employers may continue using the prior version of the form (Rev. 07/17/2017 N) until April 30, 2020. After that date, employers can only use the new form with the 10/21/2019 version date. The version date is located in the lower left corner of the form.
Changes are minimal and include:
- Clarified who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer
- Updated USCIS website addresses
- Provided clarifications on acceptable documents for Form I-9
- Updated the process for requesting paper Forms I-9
- Updated the DHS Privacy Notice
- Revised the Country of Issuance field in Section 1 and the Issuing Authority field (when selecting a foreign passport) in Section 2
The new form can be downloaded from www.uscis.gov/i-9
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.