From 11 December 2020, Hong Kong's statutory maternity leave entitlement increased from 10 weeks to 14 weeks. For details of the enhanced maternity leave entitlement (and other recent employment law changes in Hong Kong), please see our earlier post here.
Starting from 1 April 2021, employers can apply to the
Reimbursement of Maternity Leave Pay Scheme (the RMLP
Scheme) to seek reimbursement for the additional 4 weeks
(i.e. the 11th to 14th weeks) of maternity leave pay. Employers are
reminded that the additional 4 weeks' pay is subject to a cap
of HK$80,000 per employee.
To be eligible for the RMLP Scheme:-
- before the application is made, the employee must have taken
her maternity leave and the employer must have paid 14 weeks of
statutory maternity leave pay to the employee;
- the employee must be entitled to maternity leave and maternity
leave pay under the Employment Ordinance;
- the employee's confinement must have occurred on or after
11 December 2020;
- the statutory maternity leave pay in respect of the extended
period must not be covered by other government funding; and
- applications must be submitted either within three months of the start of the RMLP Scheme on 1 April 2021 or within three months of the last day of the employee's 14 weeks of statutory maternity leave (whichever is later).
Applications can be submitted online at www.rmlps.gov.hk. The RLMP Scheme website also contains useful information and FAQs on the Scheme itself and how to apply.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.