Lazaro Baez was recently sentenced to 12 years in jail for money laundering in Argentina, charges that connected him to political powers still at large in the country. This international case revealed deeply rooted corruption and strong headwinds against uncovering critical evidence - but that did not stop Mariano Federici, the former head of Argentina's Financial Intelligence Unit, from continuing to dig in.
In episode 8 of Digging Deeper, Mariano shares with Chris Morgan Jones how the investigation unfolded and what the future of related cases may be. As Mariano notes, "When the world is set to cooperate, there is no good place to hide."
Listen to more episodes of Digging Deeper:
- Digging Deeper Episode 7: Investigating Fraud and Corruption
- Digging Deeper Episode 6: One-on-One with Jules Kroll
- Digging Deeper Episode 5: Varsity Blues
- Digging Deeper Episode 4: Public Sector Lessons for the Corporate Investigator
- Digging Deeper Episode 3: When Personal Lives Feed Criminal Activity
- Digging Deeper Episode 2: Tales Of Corporate Scams, Frauds, And A Stolen Dali
- Digging Deeper Episode 1: The Con Queen of Hollywood
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.