Deloitte's publication 'A new beginning' - Annual report insights 2013 is a survey of 100 listed UK companies' annual reports, with tools to help improve annual reports and ideas on how to meet the new narrative reporting and corporate governance requirements.
Deloitte's publication 'A new beginning' - Annual report insights 2013 is based on our findings from an in-depth survey of 100 listed UK companies' annual reports.
As well as discussing the results of our survey, it is also designed as a tool to help preparers develop and improve the structure and content of their annual report. In addition to statistics and analysis of historical trends, there are thoughts and ideas around the impact of current and future changes in reporting requirements, along with plenty of examples of good practice identified from companies across the FTSE. In particular, the appendix provides suggestions on how annual reports can be improved in the coming reporting season based on our survey findings, areas that will be under scrutiny from regulators and ideas on how to cut clutter. Recognising that there are different appetites as to how far prepares want to go, our suggestions are split into four levels, ranging from the bare minimum to how companies can go the extra mile.
The regulatory overview provided clearly sets out the current requirements governing annual reports, changes coming into force over the next year or so, regulatory hotspots and links to further resources.
About the report
A new beginning is based on analysis of the annual reports of 100 UK listed companies and includes information on:
- how companies addressed the existing disclosure requirements of the Companies Act 2006, the Listing Rules, the Disclosure and Transparency Rules and the UK Corporate Governance Code;
- the level of early adoption shown by companies in relation to the new requirements for narrative reporting, corporate governance, directors' remuneration and other areas of regulatory development;
- the quality of linkage shown by companies between the various sections of their annual report;
- the way companies are describing their business models;
- the content of the business review, including principal risks and uncertainties and key performance indicators;
- details of corporate governance and audit committee reporting, including going concern disclosures; and
- the various disclosures that are required by International Financial Reporting Standards.
It is available in a variety of formats:
- for those in a hurry, an eight page summary of the survey exists in pdf or hard copy form;
- for those wishing to view online, there is an interactive pdf of the survey with enhanced functionality and links to useful information; and
- for those who want to print a copy of the full report, a printer-friendly version is also available.
Those who may be interested in this publication include:
- FDs and FCs of public companies;
- non-executive directors, including Audit Committee members, of listed companies, who may be interested in narrative and financial reporting issues;
- investor relations representatives;
- company secretaries; and
- anyone else with an interest in best practice in annual reporting.
A new beginning - The highlights, 259 KB, PDF
A new beginning - Annual report insights 2013 (interactive version) 8.06 MB, PDF
A new beginning - Annual report insights 2013 (printer-friendly version) 6.24 MB, PDF
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.