The team welcomed several new members this year including Ben McLeod (Partner) in the Melbourne office and Tautvydas Anusaitis (Lawyer) in our Sydney office. In addition, we celebrated the promotion of Juniper Watson (Special Counsel) in Adelaide, Gareth Gillespie (Associate) in Sydney, and Oliver Radan (Associate) in Adelaide. We are excited to see our team continue to deliver excellent service to our clients.
Throughout the year, we continued to represent and advise our clients, across various industries and issues, including:
Advising on its agreement with Alinta Energy to Engineer, Procure and Construct (EPC) a 60MW expansion and upgrade of Alinta Energy's gas-fired Newman Power Station in Western Australia's Pilbara region. Clarke Energy also entered into a long-term contract to maintain the facility for Alinta Energy following completion of the EPC works.
Cross River Rail
Advising Hitachi on various aspects of the Cross River Rail Project in Queensland.
Advising on a number of projects including:
- major contracts for the $2.28b SA-NSW electricity interconnector project known as Project EnergyConnect
- delivery of the $320m Eyre Peninsula high-voltage line upgrade project
- 30-year Transmission Connection Agreements for Neon's Goyder South wind farm project.
SAPgen Pty Ltd
Acting in relation to the proposed Summerfield Renewable Energy Hub in South Australia.
Acting for Symal Group as part of the Nexus consortium for the North East Link project in Victoria and in respect of Inland Rail.
Multigate Medical Projects Pty Limited
Advising and drafting for supply and installation of a very large Automated Distribution Centre at Yenora, NSW with Very Narrow Aisle Racking, Miniload Case Buffer, Multi-shuttle Tote Buffer and Automated Guided Vehicle Fleet. Considerable co-ordination of separate contractor interfaces required close consideration.
Penrith City Council
Drafting contracts for and advising on two large commuter carparking stations (1,000 parking spaces in total) and associated facilities, at Penrith (Soper Place) and Kingswood. The Soper Place Penrith project includes a four story A-Grade commercial building and multi use community facility (931sqm) with public rooftop garden.
- the grounds on which an arbitration award can be appealed under the Commercial Arbitration Act NSW
- the degree of error needed to be established to have an arbitral award set aside
Appearing before the Supreme Court of NSW and providing submissions on the above issues.
- time bars for bring claims minor and major defects under the Home Building Act NSW
- time bars under the Design and Building Practitioners Act NSW
- basis on which claims may be brought under the Design and Building Practitioners Act NSW
Defending proceedings in the Supreme Court of NSW relating to the above issues.
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
In the 2022 edition of The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Piper Alderman was recognised across 12 areas of law including Construction and Energy (transactions and regulatory). A number of our team members were highlighted as recommended or key lawyers for this category, including Megan Calder, Martin Lovell andKathryn Walker.
The Best Lawyers in Australia
In the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in Australia, 52 of Piper Alderman's lawyers are recognised across 42 legal areas including the following in our national Projects & Construction team:
- Megan Calder – Construction / Infrastructure Law
- Geoff Emmett – Construction / Infrastructure Law
- Martin Lovell – Commercial Law, Construction / Infrastructure Law, Project Finance and Development Practice, Structured Finance Law
- Karyn Reardon – Construction / Infrastructure Law
- Kathryn Walker – Construction / Infrastructure Law
In the 2022 rankings for Doyle's Guide, the firm and members of our Projects & Construction team have been recognised as follows:
- Megan Calder – Recommended Construction & Infrastructure Litigation Lawyer, Victoria
- Ben McLeod – Recommended Construction & Infrastructure Litigation Lawyer, Victoria
- Martin Lovell – Leading Energy & Resources Lawyer, South Australia
- Andrew Robertson – Leading Construction & Infrastructure Litigation Lawyer, South Australia
- Juniper Watson – Construction & Infrastructure Rising Star, Australia
We were also delighted to receive some very kind feedback from clients and contacts during the research process for the legal directories, including:
'Full service firm that delivers. Good value, efficient, high quality.' (Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, 2022)
'For us, the consistency of the product provided and the availability of Martin and Juniper make them stand out. ' (Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, 2022)
'Martin Lovell, Juniper Watson and their team provide fantastic service and a high quality product. Nothing is too difficult for them and they consistently deliver.' (Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, 2022)