The Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation (DBEI) has opened a short public consultation period to invite submissions from employers and business owners in relation to the current composition of the Critical Skills List and the Ineligible List of Occupations. The closing date for submissions is 12 July 2019. Employers who wish to make a submission regarding the inclusion of an occupation on the Lists can do so by contacting the Department directly or by contacting the Employment team at the Maples Group. By way of guidance, the Department will consider the following when looking at making changes to the Lists:
- the availability of Irish/EEA nationals available to undertake work in a particular category and sub-category;
- examining whether development opportunities for Irish/EEA nationals are impacted;
- distinguishing genuine skills shortage exists from temporary recruitment or retention challenges;
- ensuring that Government education, training, employment and economic development policies are supported; and
- assessing attempts by industry to train and attract Irish/EEA nationals to available jobs in sectors where there are currently skills shortages.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.