Australia: ASIC Guide – Do you need an Australian Financial Services Licence to participate in carbon markets?

Last Updated: 15 March 2012
Article by Fiona Melville, Jo Garland and Jennifer Mee

Do you need an AFSL

An Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) is required if a person carries on a financial services business in Australia unless an exemption applies. The following table sets out some activities which constitute financial services in the context of the Australian carbon market and indicates whether or not an AFSL (or an AFSL variation) is required. The terms in the table are described in the article below.

Description of activity Corporations Act activity AFSL required
Buying units on your own behalf, including: