UK: Letting Residential Property To Tenants - Getting The Paperwork Right

Last Updated: 14 April 2009
Article by Tessa Shepperson, BA, LLB, Solicitor


People often see renting out property as being 'money for nothing', or at least an easy way to earn a living. However this is far from the truth and landlords now have to copy with a plethora of regulations, most of which require having the right paperwork in place. Failure to do this can often result in financial penalties.

Here is an outline of the main things you need to do. Although it is not an exhaustive list, it contains most of the paperwork you will need (and some you might not).


Building Regs etc. If you get building work done on the property, you need to have planning permission (if required for the type of work you are doing) and building regulation approval.

HMOs. If you are going to let to more than two unrelated people sharing accommodation, then your property may be classed as a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO). You should speak to your Local Authority Housing Officer about this. You may need to apply for a license, particularly if your property is more than three stories high.

Permissions. Ensure that you have permission (if appropriate) from your mortgage company and your own landlord (if you have a lease or tenancy), for renting the property out.

Insurance. You should also have suitable insurance for a rented property, normal domestic insurance is generally inadequate.

Gas Certificate. If there are any gas appliances in the property you should have them checked by an engineer registered with the Gas Safe Register (no longer CORGI) and obtain a certificate, which should be given you your tenant. This needs to be done every year. You can locate relevant engineers via the Gas Safe Register web-site at

Electricals. You should also make sure that the electrics and electrical equipment are checked over, and ideally obtain a certificate. However a certificate is not strictly necessary unless your property is an HMO, although it is also required by some accreditation schemes.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). You will need to have an EPC and must provide a copy to your tenant at no charge. Generally this is done when the tenant is given the property particulars. The fine for non compliance is £200.

Tenant Application/Information Form. Most landlords and letting agents will require the tenant to complete a standard form giving their personal details. Most well drafted forms will also include a data protection notice and authority to use the information for referencing purposes. (Note that annual members of Landlord-Law will find a form here).


This is the main time for getting the paperwork right. It is important to make sure that all the necessary forms have been signed before the tenant is given the keys to the property. If the forms are not signed now you may experience difficulty in getting them signed later.

Tenancy Agreement. You should never let the tenant in before a properly drafted tenancy agreement has been signed. Make sure it has all the clauses you need, and be careful when completing it to make sure that all spellings and other details are correct. Generally a plain English style agreement is best as it is easier for your tenants to understand. You need two copies of the agreement – one for the tenant/s to sign and one for the landlord to sign, although they can both sign both agreements as well. The main thing is that the tenant ends up with a copy of the agreement signed by the landlord and vice versa. ( Annual members of Landlord-Law can download our Plain English Style agreements from here).

Inventory/Statement Of Condition. This should be very detailed and should be checked over with the tenants during a meeting at the property. Both parties should then sign copies of the inventory to confirm that it is agreed and the tenants should be given a copy. Many landlords delegate this work to a specialist inventory company. (Note that annual members of Landlord-Law can download our inventory form here. There is a list of inventory companies web-sites here).

Gas Safety Certificate. This has been mentioned above but is important so is worth mentioning again. Now is the time to hand the certificate over to the tenant.

Standing Order Mandate. In most cases you will want the tenants to pay by standing order so it is a good idea to get them to sign the form before they go in. (Note that annual members of Landlord-Law can download our form here).

Housing Benefit Letter Of Authority. If your tenant is on housing benefit/Local Housing Allowance, note that the benefit office will refuse to speak to you about your tenant's claim citing the Data Protection Act, unless you have a written authority from the tenant authorising them to discuss things with you. (Note that annual members of Landlord-Law can download our standard letter here).

Tenancy Deposit Form. If your tenants have paid you a tenancy deposit then, provided the tenancy is an AST, it will need to be protected with one of the three government authorised tenancy deposit schemes. You will also need to serve a notice on the tenants giving prescribed information and have them counter sign your copy to prove receipt. (Note that annual members of Landlord-Law can download our form here).

Insurance Policy. If you are going to hold the tenants responsible for any action by them which may breach the terms of your insurance policy, you need to provide them with a copy of it, or at least an extract of the relevant parts, of these clauses in your tenancy agreement will be void.

Head Lease. If you are a tenant of the property under a long lease, you may want to give your tenants a copy of the head lease or the relevant parts to ensure that they are bound by its terms. However most matters in the head lease will already be covered in a well drafted tenancy agreement.

Guarantee. If you are not sure whether your tenant will be able to pay the rent, you can take a guarantee from a friend or relative. This can either be incorporated into the tenancy agreement or a separate deed can be used. (Note that annual members of Landlord-Law can download a form of guarantee here).


In some cases the following paperwork may be needed:

Tenancy Deposit Notice. If this was not dealt with at the time of signing the tenancy agreement, for example because the deposit had not been protected at that time, note that the notice must be served on the tenants within 14 days of the deposit being paid to you. (Note that annual members of Landlord-Law can download our form here).

Section 21 Notice. Some landlords like to serve a section 21 notice at an early stage, particularly if they know that they will want the property back at the end of the fixed term. Note that this should never be served on the tenant on or before the first day of the tenancy, as it is arguable that you cannot serve a valid notice to end a tenancy which not started yet. (Note that annual members of Landlord-Law can download our possession notices from here).


Inspection Letters. Note that you will need to inform the tenant in writing if you wish to inspect the property (this is generally done quarterly), giving them not less than 24 hours notice.

Rent Arrears Letter And Notice. If the tenants fall into arrears of rent, you may want to send them a letter, and (if the arrears continue to increase) a section 8 notice. (Note that annual members of Landlord-Law can download forms, letters and checklists regarding action on rent arrears from our Rent Arrears Action Plan here).

Section 21 Notice. You may also want to serve this, if you decide that you do not want the tenant to stay on after the end of the fixed term. (Note that annual members of Landlord-Law can download our possession notices from here).


Tenancy Renewals. If the tenant wants to stay, it is normal to give them a new fixed term. This is also a useful way to increase the rent. You can give them a complete new tenancy agreement, however often you can use a shorter renewal notice (Note that annual members of Landlord-Law can use our standard renewal forms from here.)

Notice Of Rent Increase. If you do not increase the rent by giving the tenant a new tenancy agreement or renewal, you can increase the rent (after the fixed term has ended) using the proper prescribed form. (Note that annual members of Landlord-Law can download our form here).


Letter Regarding Possessions Left Behind. If the tenant has left behind possessions which are not obvious rubbish, you need to be careful to follow the correct procedure, as laid down in the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977, before disposing of them. (Note that Landlord-Law annual members will find a form of letter here.)


Hopefully this article has given you an idea of the sort of paperwork which is necessary when managing a residential property. Most of this paperwork needs to be carefully drafted and some is in a prescribed form (which means that it will be invalid if some of the prescribed wording is left out).

As mentioned above, much of it can be downloaded by annual members of Landlord-Law.

(Note – This article is written for landlords in England and Wales UK)

© Tessa Shepperson, April 2009

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

To print this article, all you need is to be registered on

Click to Login as an existing user or Register so you can print this article.

In association with
Up-coming Events Search
Font Size:
Mondaq on Twitter
Register for Access and our Free Biweekly Alert for
This service is completely free. Access 250,000 archived articles from 100+ countries and get a personalised email twice a week covering developments (and yes, our lawyers like to think you’ve read our Disclaimer).
Email Address
Company Name
Confirm Password
Mondaq Topics -- Select your Interests
 Law Performance
 Law Practice
 Media & IT
 Real Estate
 Wealth Mgt
Asia Pacific
European Union
Latin America
Middle East
United States
Worldwide Updates
Check to state you have read and
agree to our Terms and Conditions

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Statement (the Website) is owned and managed by Mondaq Ltd and as a user you are granted a non-exclusive, revocable license to access the Website under its terms and conditions of use. Your use of the Website constitutes your agreement to the following terms and conditions of use. Mondaq Ltd may terminate your use of the Website if you are in breach of these terms and conditions or if Mondaq Ltd decides to terminate your license of use for whatever reason.

Use of

You may use the Website but are required to register as a user if you wish to read the full text of the content and articles available (the Content). You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, link, display, or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these terms & conditions or with the prior written consent of Mondaq Ltd. You may not use electronic or other means to extract details or information about’s content, users or contributors in order to offer them any services or products which compete directly or indirectly with Mondaq Ltd’s services and products.


Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in the documents and related graphics published on this server for any purpose. All such documents and related graphics are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers hereby disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to this information, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. In no event shall Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of information available from this server.

The documents and related graphics published on this server could include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. Changes are periodically added to the information herein. Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers may make improvements and/or changes in the product(s) and/or the program(s) described herein at any time.


Mondaq Ltd requires you to register and provide information that personally identifies you, including what sort of information you are interested in, for three primary purposes:

  • To allow you to personalize the Mondaq websites you are visiting.
  • To enable features such as password reminder, newsletter alerts, email a colleague, and linking from Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to your website.
  • To produce demographic feedback for our information providers who provide information free for your use.

Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) do not sell or provide your details to third parties other than information providers. The reason we provide our information providers with this information is so that they can measure the response their articles are receiving and provide you with information about their products and services.

If you do not want us to provide your name and email address you may opt out by clicking here .

If you do not wish to receive any future announcements of products and services offered by Mondaq by clicking here .

Information Collection and Use

We require site users to register with Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to view the free information on the site. We also collect information from our users at several different points on the websites: this is so that we can customise the sites according to individual usage, provide 'session-aware' functionality, and ensure that content is acquired and developed appropriately. This gives us an overall picture of our user profiles, which in turn shows to our Editorial Contributors the type of person they are reaching by posting articles on Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) – meaning more free content for registered users.

We are only able to provide the material on the Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) site free to site visitors because we can pass on information about the pages that users are viewing and the personal information users provide to us (e.g. email addresses) to reputable contributing firms such as law firms who author those pages. We do not sell or rent information to anyone else other than the authors of those pages, who may change from time to time. Should you wish us not to disclose your details to any of these parties, please tick the box above or tick the box marked "Opt out of Registration Information Disclosure" on the Your Profile page. We and our author organisations may only contact you via email or other means if you allow us to do so. Users can opt out of contact when they register on the site, or send an email to with “no disclosure” in the subject heading

Mondaq News Alerts

In order to receive Mondaq News Alerts, users have to complete a separate registration form. This is a personalised service where users choose regions and topics of interest and we send it only to those users who have requested it. Users can stop receiving these Alerts by going to the Mondaq News Alerts page and deselecting all interest areas. In the same way users can amend their personal preferences to add or remove subject areas.


A cookie is a small text file written to a user’s hard drive that contains an identifying user number. The cookies do not contain any personal information about users. We use the cookie so users do not have to log in every time they use the service and the cookie will automatically expire if you do not visit the Mondaq website (or its affiliate sites) for 12 months. We also use the cookie to personalise a user's experience of the site (for example to show information specific to a user's region). As the Mondaq sites are fully personalised and cookies are essential to its core technology the site will function unpredictably with browsers that do not support cookies - or where cookies are disabled (in these circumstances we advise you to attempt to locate the information you require elsewhere on the web). However if you are concerned about the presence of a Mondaq cookie on your machine you can also choose to expire the cookie immediately (remove it) by selecting the 'Log Off' menu option as the last thing you do when you use the site.

Some of our business partners may use cookies on our site (for example, advertisers). However, we have no access to or control over these cookies and we are not aware of any at present that do so.

Log Files

We use IP addresses to analyse trends, administer the site, track movement, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.


This web site contains links to other sites. Please be aware that Mondaq (or its affiliate sites) are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of these third party sites. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this Web site.

Surveys & Contests

From time-to-time our site requests information from users via surveys or contests. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and the user therefore has a choice whether or not to disclose any information requested. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and delivery address), and demographic information (such as postcode, age level). Contact information will be used to notify the winners and award prizes. Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the functionality of the site.


If a user elects to use our referral service for informing a friend about our site, we ask them for the friend’s name and email address. Mondaq stores this information and may contact the friend to invite them to register with Mondaq, but they will not be contacted more than once. The friend may contact Mondaq to request the removal of this information from our database.


This website takes every reasonable precaution to protect our users’ information. When users submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected using firewalls and other security technology. If you have any questions about the security at our website, you can send an email to

Correcting/Updating Personal Information

If a user’s personally identifiable information changes (such as postcode), or if a user no longer desires our service, we will endeavour to provide a way to correct, update or remove that user’s personal data provided to us. This can usually be done at the “Your Profile” page or by sending an email to

Notification of Changes

If we decide to change our Terms & Conditions or Privacy Policy, we will post those changes on our site so our users are always aware of what information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances, if any, we disclose it. If at any point we decide to use personally identifiable information in a manner different from that stated at the time it was collected, we will notify users by way of an email. Users will have a choice as to whether or not we use their information in this different manner. We will use information in accordance with the privacy policy under which the information was collected.

How to contact Mondaq

You can contact us with comments or queries at

If for some reason you believe Mondaq Ltd. has not adhered to these principles, please notify us by e-mail at and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to determine and correct the problem promptly.