The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) has announced the introduction of six (6) new electronic tax services (e-services). The available e-services are:
- e-Registration: for registration of new taxpayers with FIRS for the various taxes
- e-Stamp Duty: for payment of stamp duties on qualifying documents
- e-TaxPayment: for payment of all Federal Government taxes and levies through any of the following platforms – Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS), Remita and Interswitch
- e-Receipt: for receiving and verifying e-receipts generated for taxes paid through the new e-TaxPayment
- e-Filing: enables taxpayers file their tax returns through the FIRS' Integrated Tax Administration System (ITAS)
- e-TCC: this platform will enable taxpayers apply for, receive and verify authenticity of their electronic tax clearance certificates (e-TCC)
The initiatives underscore the efforts of FIRS towards ensuring that key tax processes are automated in order to improve transparency, ease and speed of tax administration; for both taxpayers and tax administrators. It is also in alignment with the goals of the Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council (PEBEC), which was setup earlier this year.
We advise taxpayers to begin to take advantage of these e-services which are for their benefit.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.