Authorities have seized around 10,000 gallons (37,854 litres) of tainted alcohol at resorts in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen in Mexico. The list, which was not released includes more than 30 hotels and night clubs.
These raids occurred in wake of 20-year-old Abbey Conner's death in January. Toxicology reports showed that her blood alcohol level was 0.25. Her family claims that she died after consuming faulty alcohol from the Iberostar Paraiso Maya resort.
The Iberostar chain of resorts defended itself last month, stating that they adhere to regulatory standards and only purchases "sealed bottles (of alcohol) that satisfy all standards required by the designated regulatory authorities."
The government has blamed the tainted alcohol on "bad manufacturing practices" and have identified one of the bars shut down as the one that is located within the resort where Conner was staying.
Earlier this year in July, the U.S. State Department also released a memo warning tourists about the risks associated with heading to Mexico and provided reports of the tainted alcohol within Mexico's resorts. Also advising them to drink in moderation and seek assistance if they begin to feel sick.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.