Cyprus: Basic Aspects Of Cyprus Family Law

Last Updated: 5 December 2016
Article by Antonis Paschalides
Jurisdictional Issues

Which are the competent courts in relation to family matters?

The majority of cases relating to family issues such as divorce, parental care and maintenance are resolved by the Family Courts. However, Family Courts are not the only competent courts for some of the said issues. In some cases the competent courts are the Family Courts of the Religious Groups or the President of the District Court.

Mixed couples and Family Courts' jurisdiction
The Family Courts have jurisdiction in relation to the following (article 11 Law No.23/1990):
(a) The dissolution of any religious marriage which was celebrated according to the canons of the Greek Orthodox Church;

(b) The dissolution of any religious marriage of any other faith, provided that the Family Courts of the Religious Groups do not have jurisdiction in relation to such dissolution;

(c) The dissolution of any civil marriage;

(d) Family matters in judicial proceedings initiated by the treaties to which Cyprus is a signatory country;

(e) Matters of parental care, maintenance, acknowledgement of paternity, adoption, property relations between spouses as well as any other matrimonial or family dispute.
An important condition for the Family Courts to have jurisdiction is that the parties or one of the parties must be resident in Cyprus. Residence means any continuous period of stay in excess of three months (article 11(3) Law No.23/1990). However, when the dispute involves property then there is no need for the parties or one of the parties to have residence in Cyprus.
In some cases the competent courts for some of the said issues are not the Family Courts but the Family Courts of the Religious Groups or even the President of the District Court as indicated below.

Family Courts of the Religious Groups

According to article 2.3 of the Constitution, 3 Religious Groups are recognised in Cyprus namely the Armenian, the Maronite and the Latin Community. The members of these religious groups must all be Cypriot citizens. The Family Courts of the Religious Groups have jurisdiction in relation to the dissolution of any religious marriage which was celebrated according to the canons of a religious group and it doesn't matter whether both spouses belong in the same religious group. However, in order for these Courts to have jurisdiction over civil marriages, the spouses must belong to the same religious group. Finally, the Family Courts of the Religious Groups have jurisdiction to award a spouse with the exclusive use of the matrimonial home (article 2b and 21(1) Law No.87(I)/1994).

President of the District Court

In relation to Turkish Cypriots, the President of the District Court is the appropriate authority for matters relating to the dissolution of civil marriage celebrated in Cyprus, the maintenance of spouses and the maintenance and custody of minors (Law No.120(I)/2003).

Divorce Proceedings

May a spouse apply for a divorce at any time?

In relation to the dissolution of civil marriage, a spouse can apply directly to the court for the issuing of the divorce. In contrast, in case of a religious marriage, the spouse who wants a divorce must, first of all, send a notification to the Bishop (or to the religious leader when the couple belongs to one of the three recognised religious groups) stating the grounds for the divorce. The Bishop (or the religious leader) will then try to reconcile the couple. The divorce petition can be filled only after the elapsed of a three month period from the time when the Bishop (or the religious leader) had received the notification (Law No.22/1990 and Law No.87(I)/1994).

What are the grounds for divorce?

A ground for divorce is the irretrievable breakdown of the marital relationship for reasons which are attributed to the respondent or to both spouses and which makes the continuance of the marital relationship intolerable for the applicant. According to Cyprus law bigamy, adultery, abandonment, violence and an attempt against the life of the applicant by the respondent are revocable presumptions for the irretrievable breakdown of the marital relationship (article 27(2) and 27(3) Law No.104(I)/2003, appendix A Law No.87(I)/1994, article 14(a) Law No.23/1990).

Another ground for divorce is the continuous separation for a period of four years which constitutes an irrevocable presumption that there has been an irretrievable breakdown of the marital relationship. In that case the marriage is dissolved regardless whether the reason leading to the irretrievable breakdown is attributed solely to the applicant (article 27(3) Law No.104(I)/2003, appendix A Law No.87(I)/1994, article 14(a) Law No.23/1990).

Furthermore, the change of sex of the respondent, the abandonment of the applicant and an attempt against the life of the applicant by the respondent constitute independent grounds for divorce (article 27(4) Law No.104(I)/2003).

Finally, if the spouses belong to the Greek Orthodox Church the marriage can also be dissolved for any of the reasons found in the Charter of the Holy Orthodox Church (article 111 2B of the Constitution, article 27(2) Law No.104(I)/2003). Such grounds include, inter alia, infidelity, immoral or disgraceful behavior, insanity and disappearance. In case of spouses belonging to one of the three religious groups then the marriage can also be dissolved for the reasons listed in Law No.87(I)/1994 (e.g infidelity, violence against the applicant, disappearance, insanity).

Relations between spouses before and after the issuing of the divorce

Can a spouse claim the exclusive use of the matrimonial home even when the married couple is separated but not yet divorced?

Cyprus law permits a spouse to apply for the exclusive use of the matrimonial home in case of separation and regardless of who owns the home. The Court in making a decision will take into account equity as well as the particular circumstances of each spouse and the best interests of their children. The violent behavior of the respondent spouse is also an important factor which will be taken into account by the Court. The Court may grant the exclusive use of the whole or part of the dwelling that is used as the matrimonial home. The decision of the Court can be reviewed when this is imposed by the circumstances surrounding the case and the decision ceases to have effect when the divorce is issued (article 17(1) of Law No.23/1990).

Is a spouse entitled to maintenance before the issuing of the divorce?

A spouse may claim maintenance during the separation even before the divorce is issued. The spouse entitled to maintenance is the one in the worst financial position. The Family Courts may issue either a maintenance order covering the needs of the beneficiary in full (full/complete maintenance) in cases where the beneficiary is unable to generate any income or a maintenance order covering part of the needs of the beneficiary when he/she has some income (supplementary maintenance). The maintenance order ceases to have effect when the divorce is issued (article 4(1) Law No.232/1991).

Can a former spouse be ordered to pay spousal maintenance?

The issuing of a divorce doesn't cease a former spouse's obligation to support the other former spouse. In cases where the former spouse is unable to support himself/herself from his/her income or other income streams he/she can apply for a maintenance order. The amount is calculated according to the needs of the beneficiary taking into account his/her standard of living before the divorce and includes all the necessities for the sustenance of the beneficiary. Furthermore, it is possible for the maintenance order to include a thirteenth or fourteenth monthly payment of maintenance in cases where the spouse against whom the order is issued receives a thirteenth or fourteenth month pay (article 5 and 7 Law No.232/1991).

Are there any reasons excluding or reducing the spousal maintenance?

The maintenance may be excluded or reduced when this is imposed by serious reasons and especially when the marriage was short-term or when the beneficiary spouse voluntarily caused his/her poverty or when the beneficiary bears serious fault for the dissolution of the marriage and/or for the interruption of the cohabitation (article 6 Law No.232/1991).

Is the spousal maintenance order subject to modification?

Each of the spouses can apply to the court to modify or even annul the maintenance order. Depending on the circumstances, the maintenance amount may be decreased or increased. The maintenance order can be modified, for example, if the financial status of the beneficiary improves or if the financial status of the debtor worsens. Under a 2008 amendment, the amount now automatically rises by 10% every 2 years (article 4(2) and 10 Law No.232/1991).
In any case, the spousal maintenance order ceases to have effect if the beneficiary remarries or if he/she is cohabiting with someone else. The order might also cease to have effect if the beneficiary dies or if the order is annulled by the court (article 11 Law No.232/1991).

In case of separation or divorce, how a spouse might be entitled to a share in the assets acquired during the course of marriage?

In case of separation or divorce, a spouse who has contributed in any way towards the increase of the assets of the other spouse is entitled to the part of the increase which emanates from his/her contribution. "Assets" means the movable or immovable property which was acquired by any of the spouses before the marriage with the prospect of marriage or during the course of marriage. Τhe contribution of a spouse is presumed to the 1/3 of the increase except if it is otherwise proven. In assessing the increase of assets the Court will not take into account anything that was acquired by way of gift, inheritance or bequest (article 14 Law No.232/1991).

Parental care and Child Maintenance

What can be done in cases of a dispute between the parents regarding the exercise of the parental care?

The parental care is a right and at the same time a responsibility of the parents which is exercised jointly by them. When the parents dispute over the exercise of the parental care and the best interests of the child requires a decision to be made, then either parent can apply to Court in order for the dispute to be resolved. The decisions made by the parents or by the Court should aim at the best interests of the child. Furthermore, the court shall consider the child's wishes provided that he/she is mature (article 6 and 7 Law No.216/1990).

When a couple is separated or divorced, how the exercise of parental care will be regulated?

When a couple is separated or divorced the exercise of parental care is regulated by the Court unless agreed between the parties. Particularly the court may assign parental care to one parent or to both if they agree as to the place of residence of the child. Furthermore the Court may allocate parental care between the parents or may assign it to a guardian. The Court will take into account the child's relationship with each parent and his/her brothers and sisters and the existence of any agreement between the parents in relation to the custody of the child (article 14 and 15 Law No.216/1990).
An order regulating parental care can be modified or recalled by the Court. For this purpose, either of the parents or the Director of the Social Welfare Services must make an application to the Court. For the application to succeed, it must be proven that the circumstances have been changed since the issuing of the order regulating parental care (article 20 Law No.216/1990).

What are the rights of the parent with whom the child doesn't live?
It's for the best interests of a child to keep in touch with both parents. The parent with whom the child doesn't live has the right of personal communication with the child. The exercise of the said right may be regulated by the Court in case of dispute between the parents and the criterion is the welfare of the child (article 17 Law No.216/1990).

Could the grandparents of a child claim communication rights?

Cyprus law safeguards the right of the grandparents to communicate with the child. According to the law, no one has the right to obstruct the personal communication of the child with his/her grandparents, except where a serious reason exists relating to the best interests of the child. The Court may regulate the exercise of this right after a related application is made (article 17A Law No.216/1990).

Can a parent be obliged to pay maintenance to his/her child?

Parents have the obligation to support their child jointly and according to their powers. A parent or the beneficiary or the Director of the Social Welfare Services may apply to the Court in order for the maintenance payable to the child to be regulated (article 33 and 36 Law No.216/1990). The amount of maintenance is calculated according to the needs of the beneficiary taking into consideration the standard of living before the separation and the income generated by the parents. Furthermore, maintenance includes all the necessities for the sustenance and welfare of the child as well as the expenses for the child's education. Where the parent against whom the order is issued receives a thirteenth or fourteenth month pay, the maintenance order may also include a thirteenth or fourteenth monthly payment of maintenance (article 37 Law No.216/1990).

Is it possible for a child maintenance order to be modified?

A child maintenance order can be modified provided that there has been a change in the circumstances that existed at the time the order was issued. The court may modify the order and decrease or increase the amount of maintenance or even relieve the person that has to pay maintenance from a further fulfillment of his/her obligations. The modification may be ordered, for example, if the needs of the beneficiary increased or if the income capacity of the parent that has to pay maintenance has changed. Finally, the amount of maintenance increases automatically by 10% every two years (article 38 Law No.216/1990).

Is an adult child entitled to maintenance?
The obligation of the parents to support their child may continue even after the child reaches adulthood in cases where this is imposed by special circumstances. This may happen, for example, when the child attends an educational institution or during his service in the National Guard (article 33(2) Law No.216/1990).
A maintenance order is necessary so that parents will be obligated to pay maintenance to their adult child. Furthermore, any income of the child will be taken into account in order for the Court to determine the amount of maintenance that is payable by the parents.

Is it possible for the biological father of a child born outside marriage to be obligated to pay maintenance or even to exercise rights relating to parental care?

The parental care of a child born outside marriage is exercised by the mother of the child. In order for the biological father to be obligated to pay maintenance or to have the right to exercise parental care, he must recognise the child as his own child (article 16 Law No.216/1990). This can be done either by "voluntary recognition" or by "judicial recognition". The "voluntary recognition" requires the filling of an affidavit by the mother and the biological father in the court registrar. Regarding the "judicial recognition", the court will decide who the father of the child is and accordingly who will be obligated to pay maintenance and who has the right to exercise parental care (article 16, 17 and 20 Law No.187/1991).

Which are the enforcing measures of a maintenance order?

The maintenance orders are enforced as monetary penalties (article 12 Law No.232/1991 and article 40 Law No.216/1990). The beneficiary must make an affidavit in the court registrar requiring the recovery of the amount due. Afterwards, the person obligated to pay the maintenance is summoned to court and he/she has the right to be heard. However, if he/she doesn't pay, the court will order his/her imprisonment. Regarding the spousal maintenance it must be noted that any amount due for a period of time more than two years cannot be recovered (article 9(3) Law No.232/1991).

What can be done in cases where urgent circumstances impose the immediate issue of a decision in relation to the issues raised above?

The issues raised above, except from the divorce proceedings, can be brought to court ex parte i.e without notification of the respondent. After the filing of a petition in Family Court, the applicant may file an ex parte application asking for the immediate issue of an interim order. This can be done when there is an urgent need for a decision to be taken e.g an ex parte application to the Court for an urgent spousal/child maintenance order. The issuing of an interim order is an exceptional measure and the applicant must prove that there are exceptional and urgent circumstances. Furthermore, the following conditions must be satisfied: a.) a serious issue to be tried, b.) possibility for success and c.) that it would be difficult or impossible for justice to be served at a later stage without granting the interim order (article 32 Law No.14/1960). After the issuing of the interim order, it must be served to the respondent and then he/she may appear to the Court and file an objection. The Court will then decide whether the interim order will remain in force until the final settlement of the dispute or whether it should be annulled.

Can a judgment related to family matters and issued by a foreign court be enforced in Cyprus?

A decision issued by a court of a foreign country can be enforced in Cyprus provided that the Republic of Cyprus has concluded or is connected with an agreement for mutual recognition and enforcement of judicial decisions with the country issuing the decision (Law No.121(I)/2000). If the country issuing the decision is an EU Member State, then the enforcement will be effected using the mechanisms founded by EU Regulations. EU Regulation 4/2009 relates to maintenance obligations and EU Regulation 2201/2003 relates to matrimonial issues such as divorces and parental responsibility.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

To print this article, all you need is to be registered on

Click to Login as an existing user or Register so you can print this article.

Some comments from our readers…
“The articles are extremely timely and highly applicable”
“I often find critical information not available elsewhere”
“As in-house counsel, Mondaq’s service is of great value”

Up-coming Events Search
Font Size:
Mondaq on Twitter
Register for Access and our Free Biweekly Alert for
This service is completely free. Access 250,000 archived articles from 100+ countries and get a personalised email twice a week covering developments (and yes, our lawyers like to think you’ve read our Disclaimer).
Email Address
Company Name
Confirm Password
Mondaq Topics -- Select your Interests
 Law Performance
 Law Practice
 Media & IT
 Real Estate
 Wealth Mgt
Asia Pacific
European Union
Latin America
Middle East
United States
Worldwide Updates
Check to state you have read and
agree to our Terms and Conditions

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Statement (the Website) is owned and managed by Mondaq Ltd and as a user you are granted a non-exclusive, revocable license to access the Website under its terms and conditions of use. Your use of the Website constitutes your agreement to the following terms and conditions of use. Mondaq Ltd may terminate your use of the Website if you are in breach of these terms and conditions or if Mondaq Ltd decides to terminate your license of use for whatever reason.

Use of

You may use the Website but are required to register as a user if you wish to read the full text of the content and articles available (the Content). You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, link, display, or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these terms & conditions or with the prior written consent of Mondaq Ltd. You may not use electronic or other means to extract details or information about’s content, users or contributors in order to offer them any services or products which compete directly or indirectly with Mondaq Ltd’s services and products.


Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in the documents and related graphics published on this server for any purpose. All such documents and related graphics are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers hereby disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to this information, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. In no event shall Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of information available from this server.

The documents and related graphics published on this server could include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. Changes are periodically added to the information herein. Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers may make improvements and/or changes in the product(s) and/or the program(s) described herein at any time.


Mondaq Ltd requires you to register and provide information that personally identifies you, including what sort of information you are interested in, for three primary purposes:

  • To allow you to personalize the Mondaq websites you are visiting.
  • To enable features such as password reminder, newsletter alerts, email a colleague, and linking from Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to your website.
  • To produce demographic feedback for our information providers who provide information free for your use.

Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) do not sell or provide your details to third parties other than information providers. The reason we provide our information providers with this information is so that they can measure the response their articles are receiving and provide you with information about their products and services.

If you do not want us to provide your name and email address you may opt out by clicking here .

If you do not wish to receive any future announcements of products and services offered by Mondaq by clicking here .

Information Collection and Use

We require site users to register with Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to view the free information on the site. We also collect information from our users at several different points on the websites: this is so that we can customise the sites according to individual usage, provide 'session-aware' functionality, and ensure that content is acquired and developed appropriately. This gives us an overall picture of our user profiles, which in turn shows to our Editorial Contributors the type of person they are reaching by posting articles on Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) – meaning more free content for registered users.

We are only able to provide the material on the Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) site free to site visitors because we can pass on information about the pages that users are viewing and the personal information users provide to us (e.g. email addresses) to reputable contributing firms such as law firms who author those pages. We do not sell or rent information to anyone else other than the authors of those pages, who may change from time to time. Should you wish us not to disclose your details to any of these parties, please tick the box above or tick the box marked "Opt out of Registration Information Disclosure" on the Your Profile page. We and our author organisations may only contact you via email or other means if you allow us to do so. Users can opt out of contact when they register on the site, or send an email to with “no disclosure” in the subject heading

Mondaq News Alerts

In order to receive Mondaq News Alerts, users have to complete a separate registration form. This is a personalised service where users choose regions and topics of interest and we send it only to those users who have requested it. Users can stop receiving these Alerts by going to the Mondaq News Alerts page and deselecting all interest areas. In the same way users can amend their personal preferences to add or remove subject areas.


A cookie is a small text file written to a user’s hard drive that contains an identifying user number. The cookies do not contain any personal information about users. We use the cookie so users do not have to log in every time they use the service and the cookie will automatically expire if you do not visit the Mondaq website (or its affiliate sites) for 12 months. We also use the cookie to personalise a user's experience of the site (for example to show information specific to a user's region). As the Mondaq sites are fully personalised and cookies are essential to its core technology the site will function unpredictably with browsers that do not support cookies - or where cookies are disabled (in these circumstances we advise you to attempt to locate the information you require elsewhere on the web). However if you are concerned about the presence of a Mondaq cookie on your machine you can also choose to expire the cookie immediately (remove it) by selecting the 'Log Off' menu option as the last thing you do when you use the site.

Some of our business partners may use cookies on our site (for example, advertisers). However, we have no access to or control over these cookies and we are not aware of any at present that do so.

Log Files

We use IP addresses to analyse trends, administer the site, track movement, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.


This web site contains links to other sites. Please be aware that Mondaq (or its affiliate sites) are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of these third party sites. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this Web site.

Surveys & Contests

From time-to-time our site requests information from users via surveys or contests. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and the user therefore has a choice whether or not to disclose any information requested. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and delivery address), and demographic information (such as postcode, age level). Contact information will be used to notify the winners and award prizes. Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the functionality of the site.


If a user elects to use our referral service for informing a friend about our site, we ask them for the friend’s name and email address. Mondaq stores this information and may contact the friend to invite them to register with Mondaq, but they will not be contacted more than once. The friend may contact Mondaq to request the removal of this information from our database.


This website takes every reasonable precaution to protect our users’ information. When users submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected using firewalls and other security technology. If you have any questions about the security at our website, you can send an email to

Correcting/Updating Personal Information

If a user’s personally identifiable information changes (such as postcode), or if a user no longer desires our service, we will endeavour to provide a way to correct, update or remove that user’s personal data provided to us. This can usually be done at the “Your Profile” page or by sending an email to

Notification of Changes

If we decide to change our Terms & Conditions or Privacy Policy, we will post those changes on our site so our users are always aware of what information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances, if any, we disclose it. If at any point we decide to use personally identifiable information in a manner different from that stated at the time it was collected, we will notify users by way of an email. Users will have a choice as to whether or not we use their information in this different manner. We will use information in accordance with the privacy policy under which the information was collected.

How to contact Mondaq

You can contact us with comments or queries at

If for some reason you believe Mondaq Ltd. has not adhered to these principles, please notify us by e-mail at and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to determine and correct the problem promptly.