Law 123(I)/2017 has upgraded the Department of Merchant Shipping to a deputy ministry under the direction of the newly created post of deputy minister of shipping with effect from March 1 2018.
From that date, the new Deputy Ministry of Maritime Affairs will assume the Department of Merchant Shipping's powers and responsibilities, including responsibility for:
- devising an integrated national shipping strategy for further development of the national shipping register and the shipping sector in Cyprus;
- coordinating and implementing a national shipping strategy;
- implementing and modernising maritime legislation and issuing relevant certificates and permits;
- promoting and supporting investment in shipping, including developing and implementing incentives;
- promoting maritime education and training;
- overseeing the maritime sector;
- cooperating with other supervisory authorities; and
- informing industry participants of any provisions affecting them.
The upgrade of the Department of Merchant Shipping to a deputy ministry reflects the importance of the shipping sector in Cyprus and the significance that the government places on its development.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.