Canada: Guide To Doing Business In Canada: Oil & Gas

Last Updated: November 23 2016
Article by Gowling WLG

Oil & gas

Canada's wealth of natural resources has contributed to the country's status as a strong global player on the oil and gas stage. Understanding the legal framework related to petroleum and natural gas rights is key to successfully doing business in Canada in this sector.

1. Land ownership in Canada

Land in Canada is held publicly by either the federal or provincial government in the name of Her Majesty the Queen (Crown lands), or privately by individuals, corporations or other stakeholders (freehold lands).

a. Crown lands

In Canada, most mineral rights are owned by the Crown, but the extent of Crown ownership varies from province to province. For instance, in Alberta, the Crown owns 81 per cent of the mineral rights, compared to only 20 per cent in Manitoba.

While the provincial government has general authority over its natural resources, federal jurisdiction can overlap these provincial responsibilities. Examples of this include where Indigenous interests are affected, if a project crosses provincial or international boundaries, or where a project takes place offshore. When a jurisdictional overlap occurs, both federal and provincial regulators may become involved.

The Crown does not conduct exploration or development of oil and gas resources on its own. Instead, mineral rights are granted to individuals, companies or other entities under a tenure system based on English common law principles. Each province has its own legislation by which its tenure system is administered.

Pursuant to the applicable legislation, exploration documents or production/development documents are granted. Exploration documents are granted to encourage exploration rather than production, and usually cover a much larger geographical area than production/development documents. These docu­ments are typically referred to as licences or permits. Production/development documents are granted for a term or period of time that may be extended indefinitely if certain continuation criteria are met. These documents are typically referred to as leases.

It is important to note that any Crown instrument is subject to the terms of the document itself, along with the applicable provincial or federal legislation incorporated by reference. This legislation specifies many additional material details, such as the amount and manner of calculating the related royalty payments. Additionally, different legislation and regulations for land tenure and project development may exist in different jurisdictions for different types of oil and gas resources, such as oil sands or shale oil.

b. First Nations/Métis/Inuit lands

The Canadian Constitution recognizes three groups of Indigenous peoples: First Nations, Métis and Inuit. Land ownership that has been recognized by treaties or settlement agreements between these groups and the federal government and/or provincial governments is typically held by the governing body of the respective group and is akin to Crown land ownership.

  • First Nations: "First Nations people" refers to status and non-status "Indian" peoples as defined in the Indian Act of Canada. First Nations reserve lands are managed and regulated by Indian Oil and Gas Canada, which is a special operating agency within Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.
  • Métis: Alberta has eight Métis settlements, all located within the northern region of the province and comprising approximately 1.25 million acres of land. Settlement lands are owned in fee simple by the Métis Settlements General Council, and are co-managed with the Alberta government. The law concerning Métis rights in other jurisdictions remains uncertain.
  • Inuit: Inuit are the Indigenous peoples who reside in Nunatsiavut (Labrador), Nunavik (Québec), Nunavut and the Inuvialuit Settlement Region of the Northwest Territories. Each of these four Inuit groups has settled land claims, and exploration, development and production of oil and natural gas resources in these areas is subject to those settlement agreements.

c. Freehold lands

A fee simple estate is the highest form of non-government land ownership that exists in Canada. It is usually characterized by the issuance of a certificate of title and is subject only to the rights of the federal and provincial governments. An individual, corporation or other entity with a fee simple estate may choose to explore and develop the natural resources on their lands, or to sell or lease these rights to another party. When a fee simple owner of mineral rights enters into a freehold lease, they are called the "lessor" and the party who leases the mineral rights from the fee simple owner is called the "lessee."

There is no standard freehold lease in the Canadian context. Contracting parties may choose to enter into a variety of lease forms that have evolved over the years. In an effort to address common concerns, the Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen (CAPL) has developed leasehold forms, which are being more readily applied on a go-forward basis. Notwithstanding the fact that many freehold lease forms exist, most will address the following terms in some form or another:

  • The mineral rights granted
  • The term of the lease and provisions for continuation
  • The initial and (if applicable) bonus consideration
  • The drilling, delay rental and shut-in requirements
  • The shut-in well payments and/or obligations
  • The offset well obligations
  • The royalty payments
  • The applicable division of taxes
  • The manner in which a default and/or termination of the lease will be dealt with

It is important to note that freehold leases, like Crown leases, are also subject to applicable provincial or federal legislation, but generally speaking all the terms of the freehold lease are contained within the document itself. Negotiating the most favourable terms prior to execution is therefore crucial.

2. Federal and provincial regulators

Listed below are some of the regulatory bodies and agencies that may be involved in different oil and gas projects in Canada. Depending on the nature of the project and where it takes place, a project proponent may have to deal with regulators in several different jurisdictions.


The National Energy Board oversees matters such as pipelines or power lines that cross provincial or international boundaries, tolls and tariffs, environmental assessments and the import and export of energy.

Indian Oil and Gas Canada is tasked with fulfilling the federal government's fiduciary and statutory duties with respect to operations taking place on First Nations land. It is also responsible for approving oil and gas lease agreements for First Nations lands (in conjunction with the First Nation), collecting royalties or rent in trust for the band, and may provide consultation services to assist First Nations in their dealings with the petroleum industry.

British Columbia

The Ministry of Energy and Mines is responsible for managing provincially owned resources, as well as issuing and entering into agreements concerning rights to Crown-owned minerals.

The British Columbia Oil and Gas Commission is an independent regulator responsible for monitoring all phases of oil and gas development in the province, including approving oil and gas project applications, consulting with First Nations, ensuring projects are in compliance with provincial legislation, and granting entry to Crown lands. The Surface Rights Board of British Columbia facilitates dispute resolution between proponents and landowners, and has the power to authorize a right of entry and to determine the appropriate amount of compensation owed.


Alberta Energy is a provincial government ministry responsible for managing provincially owned resources, and issuing and entering into agreements concerning rights to Crown-owned minerals. The Alberta Energy Regulator is an independent regulator responsible for monitoring all phases of oil and gas development in the province, including approving oil and gas project applications, ensuring that projects are in compliance with provincial legislation (including environmental legislation) and granting entry to Crown lands.

The Aboriginal Consultation Office co-ordinates and oversees consultations with First Nations in Alberta. The Surface Rights Board facilitates dealings between industry and land owners, and has the power to make an order for a right of entry and to determine the appropriate amount of compensation owed.


The Ministry of the Economy, through a few different departments, serves as the regulator for all aspects of oil and gas development — including issuing and entering into agreements concerning rights to Crown-owned minerals, monitoring all phases of oil and gas development, approving applications, and granting entry to Crown lands. The Surface Rights Board of Arbitration mediates disputes between industry and landowners, and, like its Alberta counterpart, has the power to make an order for a right of entry and to determine the appropriate amount of compensation owed.


The Petroleum Branch of Manitoba Mineral Resources serves as the regulator for all aspects of oil and gas development, including issuing and entering into agreements concerning rights to Crown-owned minerals, monitoring all phases of oil and gas development, approving applications, and granting entry to Crown lands. The Surface Rights Board, like the Saskatchewan Surface Rights Board of Arbitration, mediates disputes between industry and land owners, and, similar to Alberta and Saskatchewan, has the power to make an order for a right of entry and to determine the appropriate amount of compensation owed.

Atlantic Canada

Most oil and gas reserves in Atlantic Canada are offshore, triggering both federal and provincial jurisdiction over the resources. Agreements between the different levels of government have produced two primary regulatory agencies: the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board, and the Canada-Nova Scotia Offshore Petroleum Board. Both regulators consist of federal and provincial representatives and regulate every aspect of offshore oil and gas development. Onshore oil and gas development in Atlantic Canada is regulated by the provinces.


The northern region of Canada has both on and offshore oil and gas resources. The territorial governments are responsible for onshore management, while offshore oil and gas development is regulated federally by the National Energy Board.

3. Typical agreements used in the Canadian oil and gas industry

The following is a brief summary of some of the agree­ments that are regularly encountered in the Canadian oil and gas industry.

a. Farmout agreement

This arrangement involves the beneficial owner (the "farmor") — which may or may not be the legal or registered owner — providing another party (the "farmee") with the opportunity to earn all or a portion of the farmor's interest under the mineral lease. Earning is generally achieved by requiring the farmee to conduct certain drilling operations on the farmout lands. The farmor often reserves a royalty payable by the farmee, which may or may not be convertible back to a working interest by the farmor.

Some farmout agreements establish an area of mutual interest between the farmor and the farmee for a specified period, pursuant to which each is obligated to offer the other the opportunity to participate in the acquisition of adjoining mineral interests.

b. Joint operating agreement

This arrangement between mineral working interest owners governs the conduct of operations with respect to joint lands, the maintenance of the associated title documents, the ownership and disposition of production, the surrender of joint lands, the abandonment of joint wells, the ability of the joint owners to dispose of or grant security in respect of their working interests, and a variety of other matters. The Joint Operating Agreement (JOA) typically adopts an industry-accepted operating procedure in addition to its specific terms. The most widely accepted standardized operating proce­dure is the CAPL Operating Procedure, particularly in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin.

c. Pooling agreement

When the areal extent of individually leased lands is less than the drilling spacing unit prescribed by the relevant governmental authority for conservation purposes and the efficient production of petroleum substances, a pooling agreement can be used to combine two or more leases.

The working interests of the pooling parties in the resulting spacing unit will be equalized, usually on an acreage contribution basis, but occasionally on a reserves basis. This can be effected on a cross-conveyed basis — whereby the actual working interests are conveyed between the parties to the extent necessary — or on a revenue-sharing basis, without an underlying conveyance of working interests.

d. Unitization agreement

This arrangement consolidates all of the working and royalty interests in a common reservoir — which may be comprised of any number of sections of petroleum and/or natural gas rights — with a view to achieving the most economic and efficient production of the substances from the reservoir. The unit is operated as if there is one lease and one operator for the unitized zones and substances. Unit production is distributed in accordance with a participation formula based on an agreed reserves allocation.

There are typically two agreements involved: a unit agreement among the working and royalty interests, and a unit operating agreement among just the working interest owners.

e. Royalty agreement

This arrangement may create a legal interest in land or simply a contractual agreement for the payment of monies from the royalty payor to the royalty owner. The royalty is usually based on a specified percentage of the total production, and the related agreement will generally address allowable deductions and the royalty holder's right to take production in kind. Sometimes the royalty holder will be granted an option to convert the royalty to a working interest.

f. Construction, ownership and operating agreements

This arrangement is the most common type of agree­ment used by facility owners to address the terms of ownership, the manner in which operations are con­ducted (during and after construction), the allocation of facility costs, and the assignability of facility interests. This agreement also sets out the basis for allocating facility products to parties delivering petroleum substances to the facility.

4. Protecting your interest

For a working interest owner that has a registrable interest in a Crown licence, permit or lease, it is prudent practice to register that interest with the applicable registry. The extent to which a working interest is registrable differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but generally it is difficult to register if you do not own an interest in all of the leased substances, or if your interest is restricted to certain zones or lands.

Whether you have a legal and beneficial interest, as a recognized lessee, or a beneficial interest only — pursuant to a further contractual arrangement in respect of that lease, such as a pooling agreement — in a freehold petroleum and natural gas lease, you can protect your interest by registering a caveat, or similar instrument, at the appropriate land tenure management office. A "caveat," Latin for "let him beware," acts as a warning to others that you are claiming an interest in a parcel of land.

5. Project development

The exploration, development and production of oil and gas entails many considerations beyond simply obtaining the mineral rights. Even small-scale projects will likely require several different contracts and regulatory approvals, and larger projects can become very complex.

For example, a liquefied natural gas project shipping natural gas from northeastern British Columbia and/or northwestern Alberta to the west coast of Canada for liquefaction, and then onto foreign markets, will involve the following considerations:

  • The project will fall within the jurisdiction of the Canadian federal government, and the provincial governments of Alberta and British Columbia.
  • It will likely require the preparation of a detailed feasibility study, the negotiation of project development, gathering, processing, pipeline and marine transportation, and EPC offtake contracts.
  • It will require significant consultation with First Nations and other stakeholders.
  • The obtainment of export licences, National Energy Board approval, environmental permits and a variety of other permits and approvals may also be necessary.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

To print this article, all you need is to be registered on

Click to Login as an existing user or Register so you can print this article.

Events from this Firm
14 Sep 2017, Seminar, Birmingham, UK

Has Cloud replaced traditional outsourcing models? We will compare cloud to outsourcing, consider whether they have effectively become the same thing for many solutions and assess some of the advantages and disadvantages of each model.

18 Sep 2017, Seminar, London, UK

Our annual event as part of the London Design Festival is now in its fifth year. We would be delighted if you are able to join us again.

21 Sep 2017, Seminar, London, UK

Has Cloud replaced traditional outsourcing models? We will compare cloud to outsourcing, consider whether they have effectively become the same thing for many solutions and assess some of the advantages and disadvantages of each model.

In association with
Up-coming Events Search
Font Size:
Mondaq on Twitter
Register for Access and our Free Biweekly Alert for
This service is completely free. Access 250,000 archived articles from 100+ countries and get a personalised email twice a week covering developments (and yes, our lawyers like to think you’ve read our Disclaimer).
Email Address
Company Name
Confirm Password
Mondaq Topics -- Select your Interests
 Law Performance
 Law Practice
 Media & IT
 Real Estate
 Wealth Mgt
Asia Pacific
European Union
Latin America
Middle East
United States
Worldwide Updates
Check to state you have read and
agree to our Terms and Conditions

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Statement (the Website) is owned and managed by Mondaq Ltd and as a user you are granted a non-exclusive, revocable license to access the Website under its terms and conditions of use. Your use of the Website constitutes your agreement to the following terms and conditions of use. Mondaq Ltd may terminate your use of the Website if you are in breach of these terms and conditions or if Mondaq Ltd decides to terminate your license of use for whatever reason.

Use of

You may use the Website but are required to register as a user if you wish to read the full text of the content and articles available (the Content). You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, link, display, or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these terms & conditions or with the prior written consent of Mondaq Ltd. You may not use electronic or other means to extract details or information about’s content, users or contributors in order to offer them any services or products which compete directly or indirectly with Mondaq Ltd’s services and products.


Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in the documents and related graphics published on this server for any purpose. All such documents and related graphics are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers hereby disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to this information, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. In no event shall Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of information available from this server.

The documents and related graphics published on this server could include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. Changes are periodically added to the information herein. Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers may make improvements and/or changes in the product(s) and/or the program(s) described herein at any time.


Mondaq Ltd requires you to register and provide information that personally identifies you, including what sort of information you are interested in, for three primary purposes:

  • To allow you to personalize the Mondaq websites you are visiting.
  • To enable features such as password reminder, newsletter alerts, email a colleague, and linking from Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to your website.
  • To produce demographic feedback for our information providers who provide information free for your use.

Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) do not sell or provide your details to third parties other than information providers. The reason we provide our information providers with this information is so that they can measure the response their articles are receiving and provide you with information about their products and services.

If you do not want us to provide your name and email address you may opt out by clicking here .

If you do not wish to receive any future announcements of products and services offered by Mondaq by clicking here .

Information Collection and Use

We require site users to register with Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to view the free information on the site. We also collect information from our users at several different points on the websites: this is so that we can customise the sites according to individual usage, provide 'session-aware' functionality, and ensure that content is acquired and developed appropriately. This gives us an overall picture of our user profiles, which in turn shows to our Editorial Contributors the type of person they are reaching by posting articles on Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) – meaning more free content for registered users.

We are only able to provide the material on the Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) site free to site visitors because we can pass on information about the pages that users are viewing and the personal information users provide to us (e.g. email addresses) to reputable contributing firms such as law firms who author those pages. We do not sell or rent information to anyone else other than the authors of those pages, who may change from time to time. Should you wish us not to disclose your details to any of these parties, please tick the box above or tick the box marked "Opt out of Registration Information Disclosure" on the Your Profile page. We and our author organisations may only contact you via email or other means if you allow us to do so. Users can opt out of contact when they register on the site, or send an email to with “no disclosure” in the subject heading

Mondaq News Alerts

In order to receive Mondaq News Alerts, users have to complete a separate registration form. This is a personalised service where users choose regions and topics of interest and we send it only to those users who have requested it. Users can stop receiving these Alerts by going to the Mondaq News Alerts page and deselecting all interest areas. In the same way users can amend their personal preferences to add or remove subject areas.


A cookie is a small text file written to a user’s hard drive that contains an identifying user number. The cookies do not contain any personal information about users. We use the cookie so users do not have to log in every time they use the service and the cookie will automatically expire if you do not visit the Mondaq website (or its affiliate sites) for 12 months. We also use the cookie to personalise a user's experience of the site (for example to show information specific to a user's region). As the Mondaq sites are fully personalised and cookies are essential to its core technology the site will function unpredictably with browsers that do not support cookies - or where cookies are disabled (in these circumstances we advise you to attempt to locate the information you require elsewhere on the web). However if you are concerned about the presence of a Mondaq cookie on your machine you can also choose to expire the cookie immediately (remove it) by selecting the 'Log Off' menu option as the last thing you do when you use the site.

Some of our business partners may use cookies on our site (for example, advertisers). However, we have no access to or control over these cookies and we are not aware of any at present that do so.

Log Files

We use IP addresses to analyse trends, administer the site, track movement, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.


This web site contains links to other sites. Please be aware that Mondaq (or its affiliate sites) are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of these third party sites. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this Web site.

Surveys & Contests

From time-to-time our site requests information from users via surveys or contests. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and the user therefore has a choice whether or not to disclose any information requested. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and delivery address), and demographic information (such as postcode, age level). Contact information will be used to notify the winners and award prizes. Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the functionality of the site.


If a user elects to use our referral service for informing a friend about our site, we ask them for the friend’s name and email address. Mondaq stores this information and may contact the friend to invite them to register with Mondaq, but they will not be contacted more than once. The friend may contact Mondaq to request the removal of this information from our database.


This website takes every reasonable precaution to protect our users’ information. When users submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected using firewalls and other security technology. If you have any questions about the security at our website, you can send an email to

Correcting/Updating Personal Information

If a user’s personally identifiable information changes (such as postcode), or if a user no longer desires our service, we will endeavour to provide a way to correct, update or remove that user’s personal data provided to us. This can usually be done at the “Your Profile” page or by sending an email to

Notification of Changes

If we decide to change our Terms & Conditions or Privacy Policy, we will post those changes on our site so our users are always aware of what information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances, if any, we disclose it. If at any point we decide to use personally identifiable information in a manner different from that stated at the time it was collected, we will notify users by way of an email. Users will have a choice as to whether or not we use their information in this different manner. We will use information in accordance with the privacy policy under which the information was collected.

How to contact Mondaq

You can contact us with comments or queries at

If for some reason you believe Mondaq Ltd. has not adhered to these principles, please notify us by e-mail at and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to determine and correct the problem promptly.