Canada: Guide To Doing Business In Canada: Immigration & Work Permit Considerations

Last Updated: November 2 2016
Article by Gowling WLG

Most Read Contributor in Canada, October 2018

Immigration & work permit considerations

Canada's immigration legislation and programs are designed to assist business people and foreign skilled workers with their entry into Canada. The Canadian system also facilitates the entry of foreign entities and business people seeking to start new businesses or subsidiaries in Canada.

Immigration issues should be considered well in advance whenever a foreign entity or worker wishes to enter Canada to do business. The most appropriate immigration strategy and entry option will need to be identified. It must also be determined whether the foreign national requires a work permit or if they may enter Canada as a business visitor.

1. Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA)

The IRPA and its regulations affect business opera­tions, human resource planning and potential liability. For example, the legislation influences:

  • The ability to hire foreign workers for positions in Canada
  • Foreign service providers or business people wishing to come into Canada for business purposes
  • The ability of foreign nationals to acquire Canadian permanent resident status
  • Companies and individuals by exposing them to potential liability for breaches of the IRPA

2. Canada's entry and work permit rules: A general overview

As a general rule, no person other than a Canadian citi­zen or permanent resident may work in Canada without valid authorization. As such, the first question to ask is whether or not a foreign national entering Canada requires a work permit.

A work permit is a document that specifies the entity that the foreign national is legally entitled to work for, the occupation and the location of employ­ment in Canada. The work permit also has a specific validity period and sets out conditions that the foreign national must not breach.

The distinction between a genuine business visitor and a foreign national requiring a work permit is not always clear. Under the IRPA, "work" has a broad definition: "an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned, or that competes directly with the activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Cana­dian labour market." Business visitors are typically foreign nationals who enter Canada temporarily to engage in international business activities for a short time. These individuals must meet the following general criteria:

  • Business visitors must have no intent to enter the Canadian labour market.
  • The intended activity in Canada must be international in scope.
  • The primary source of remuneration must be outside of Canada.
  • Their employer's accrual of profits must be out­side of Canada.

A foreign national will usually be allowed entry as a business visitor if the purpose of their entry falls under one of the following activities (note, this is a non-exhaustive list of potential business visitor activities):

  • Attending business meetings
  • Exploring business opportunities in Canada
  • Negotiating the sale of non-Canadian-origin goods to Canadian customers
  • Providing some types of after-sales service to Canadian customers
  • Training Canadians employed within the same corporate group as the trainer
  • Attending seminars or trade shows

If, after assessing the person and the purpose of their entry, it is determined that a work permit is required, the next step is to determine whether there is any work permit category under the IRPA, under an international agreement (such as NAFTA) or under any government program that fits the situation. If there is no suitable category available, the employer must first apply to Service Canada to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment — formerly called a Labour Market Opinion — which allows employment to be offered to a foreign national instead of to a Cana­dian citizen or permanent resident.

3. Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs) through Service Canada

Generally, the goal is to avoid the LMIA process if pos­sible and to use a non-LMIA work permit category instead. This avoids the risk of Service Canada denying the LMIA request. As well, having to apply for an LMIA will delay the overall time frame for obtaining a work permit compared to non-LMIA work permits.

The Canadian government has made major changes to the LMIA rules since June 2014. Before that time, an LMIA was called a Labour Market Opinion or LMO. Many of the changes have increased the compliance obligations placed on employers using foreign workers.

The application package for an LMIA must be prepared with great care. The entity wishing to hire or engage the foreign national must demonstrate that it has met Service Canada's recruiting requirements, and that the wage being offered meets the prevailing wage rate for the occupation and the location where the foreign national will work.

Service Canada reviews a number of factors when assessing an LMIA application, including whether:

  • The employer has made reasonable efforts to hire or train Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
  • The work of the foreign national is likely to result in direct job creation or job retention for Canadians or permanent residents.
  • The work is likely to result in the creation or transfer of skills and knowledge for the benefit of Canadians or permanent residents.
  • The work is likely to fill a labour shortage.
  • The wages and working conditions are sufficient to attract Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
  • The job offer is genuine.

If an LMIA is granted by Service Canada, it can then be used to obtain a work permit. However, if the foreign national will be working in Québec, special rules apply. Usually, in addition to the LMIA from Service Canada, a Québec Acceptance Certif­icate (CAQ) must be obtained from Québec authorities.

4. LMIA-exempt work permit categories

There are a number of potentially useful LMIA-exempt work permit categories that businesses seeking to hire or bring foreign workers into Canada should consider. Some of the main categories are listed below.

a. Intra-company transferees

This work permit category is useful for transferring managerial or specialized personnel to Canada from a related foreign entity.

The general rules are:

  • The applicant must be an executive or manager, or have "specialized knowledge," and must be transferring into such a position.
  • The applicant must have been employed full-time with the related foreign entity outside of Canada for at least 12 consecutive months in the three-year period prior to the application.
  • There must be a proper relationship between the foreign entity and the Canadian entity receiving the transferee (e.g., parent-subsidiary or affiliates owned and controlled by a common parent company).

Initial work permits are usually granted for up to a three-year period. There are time caps that may limit the overall length of time that a foreign national may stay in Can­ada under this category. Executive or managerial trans­ferees have a time cap of seven years, while "specialized knowledge" transferees may be in Canada under this type of work permit for up to five years.

This work permit category is often used when a foreign company wishes to start doing business in Canada. When setting up the corporate and ownership structure of a new business in Canada, it should be designed in such a way as to allow for the use of this type of work permit. There are special rules for startup situations where the Canadian branch or subsidiary has recently been set up — for example, the initial work permit will be granted for only one year so that the viability of the Canadian operation may be examined prior to granting a renewal of the work permit.

b. North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) professional category

The NAFTA Professional category may be used by eligi­ble American and Mexican citizens. NAFTA lists 63 professions that may be eligible for a work permit, including com­puter systems analysts, engineers, scientific technicians, management consultants, medical and some allied professions, and many scientific categories such as chemists, geologists and biologists.

The applicant must usually have a university degree related to a listed profession, and must be entering the country to work in that field. If the applicant is successful, they will receive a three-year work permit, which is renew­able.

c. Other free trade agreements with entry provisions

Canada also has free trade agreements (FTAs) with relatively similar work permit provisions to NAFTA's Professional category with Peru, Chile, Colombia and South Korea. Eligible professionals from these countries may have special work permit options. Some FTAs also have special provisions to assist with obtaining intra-company transferee work permits.

Canada and the European Union have also entered into a FTA. The Canada-EU FTA will have mobility and work permit provisions, but these will only come into effect when the Canada-EU FTA is ratified and implemented, which may take some years.

d. NAFTA investor or trader categories

These work permit categories are potentially available to American and Mexican applicants who will be employed in Canada by enterprises with an American or Mexican nationality. In this instance, American or Mexican nationality means that at least 50 per cent of the entity estab­lished in Canada must be held by American or Mexican citizens or entities.

For the NAFTA Investor category, the foreign national applicant must (i) be seeking entry solely to develop and direct the enterprise — "develop and direct" means that the applicant should have controlling interest in the enterprise — or (ii) if an employee is in a position that is executive or supervisory, or that involves essen­tial skills. However, a one-year work permit may be granted to an employee not possessing essential skills if the employee is needed for the startup of a new enterprise, such as a technical employee needed to train Canadians who will be hired by the new business.

As well, a substantial investment has to be made. There is no set rule on what constitutes a "substan­tial" investment; it will depend on the circumstances and the nature of the business. The objective of the NAFTA Investor category is to promote productive investment in Canada. Therefore, an applicant is not entitled to this status if the investment, even if sub­stantial, will produce only enough income to provide a living for the applicant and the applicant's family.

For the NAFTA Trader category, the appli­cant must be entering Canada to carry on substantial trade in goods or services principally between Canada and the United States or Mexico. To be "substantial trade," over 50 per cent of the total volume of trade conducted by the entity in Canada must be between Canada and the U.S. or Mexico. The applicant must be employed in a capacity that is executive or supervisory, or that involves essential skills or services.

Initial applications under this category must be made to a Canadian visa office outside of Canada. The initial work permit is issued for a maximum of one year, with extensions granted for two years at a time. Generally, the intra-company transferee category is a preferable option. However, in situations where the corporate structure does not support that category or where the applicant has not worked for the related for­eign company for at least 12 months, the NAFTA Inves­tor or Trader category may provide a solution.

e. Entrepreneurs

There is a work permit category available for entrepreneurs who wish to enter Canada and set up a business that will then be operated by Canadians. This category allows foreign nationals to enter the country temporarily in order to set up their business, and then leave once it is up and running.

f. Spousal employment program

Spouses (including common-law and same-sex spouses) of most foreign nationals working in Canada may apply for a work permit under the Spousal Employ­ment Program. The principal foreign national must be working in a position that is at a higher skill level. Typi­cally this includes management, professional occupa­tions, and technical or skilled trades workers. This program may assist companies in their recruiting efforts since accompanying spouses will usually be able to work in Canada.

5. Permanent resident status

Many foreign workers who obtain work permits in Canada wish to apply for permanent resident status. Canada's permanent resident rules are designed to help such foreign nationals transition to permanent status. If permanent resident status is obtained, the foreign national no longer requires a work permit to work in Canada.

Canada historically had permanent resident pro­grams aimed at business people — investors and entre­preneurs — but these federal immigration categories have now been shut down.

If a foreign national intends to settle in Québec, they will need to qualify for permanent resident status under Québec's immigration system. Québec offers a skilled worker category as well as programs for investors and entrepreneurs. There are also special programs offered by other prov­inces that may lead to permanent resident status.

6. Provincial nominee programs

Canadian provinces have provincial nominee programs (PNPs) in place. Each of these provincial programs is different, but generally the PNPs are designed to facili­tate the recruitment of foreign skilled workers who are able to address skills shortages within the nominating province. Foreign nationals who qualify under a PNP are able to apply for permanent resident status using the nomination from the province. If a foreign national is nominated under a PNP, he or she may obtain a work permit while the permanent resident application is being processed.

Some PNPs also have categories for business people or entrepreneurs. Each of these PNPs has its own unique eligibility requirements and criteria, but the goal is to attract experienced business people or entrepre­neurs to purchase or set up businesses that will create employment for Canadians.

7. Other immigration and entry issues

There are a number of other immigration consider­ations that need to be reviewed when bringing a foreign worker to Canada or travelling to Canada for business purposes.

a. Is an entry visa required?

Depending on the citizenship of the foreign national, an entry visa — called a Temporary Resident Visa or TRV — may be required before the person can enter Canada. Where this is the case, the foreign national must apply for both the work permit and the entry visa at a Canadian visa office outside of Canada. Business visitors from countries that require an entry visa must also apply at a visa office before travelling to Canada. Applications can also be submitted online through Immigration Canada's website.

b. Is an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) required?

Canada has introduced a new entry requirement called an eTA. This is mandatory as of September 30, 2016, for most visa-exempt travellers flying into Canada. The eTA must be obtained through an online application process prior to boarding a plane to Canada. Once obtained, the eTA will be valid for five years. There are no eTA requirements for U.S. citizens or foreign nationals with TRVs.

c. Is an immigration medical required?

Foreign nationals who have lived in certain designated countries for more than six months in the 12 months prior to the application, and who are coming to Canada for more than six months, require an immigration medi­cal as a condition of entry. This requirement may delay the application process, as a work permit applicant who needs an immigration medical must usually apply through a visa office outside of Canada.

d. Admissibility issues

A foreign national (and any accompanying dependants) seeking entry to Canada may be inadmissible due to criminal convictions, medical conditions or prior entry refusals. If any of these potential admissibility issues apply to a foreign national, the situation must be assessed well in advance to determine whether entry is possible. Where a candidate is inadmissible due to criminality, steps can sometimes be taken to remedy the situation depending upon the seriousness of the offence, the length of time since it occurred and the number of convictions.

e. Dependants

The accompanying spouse and children of a foreign worker will need to obtain immigration documentation. Spouses may qualify for a work permit under the spou­sal employment program. Children may need a visitor record or study permit.

f. Renewals of work permits

Once a work permit is obtained, the ongoing status of foreign nationals working in Canada must be carefully monitored to ensure that a renewal of the work permit is obtained well in advance of its expiry date. If an LMIA is the basis for the work permit, a new LMIA will need to be obtained before the work permit may be renewed.

g. Changes in position or circumstances

Any change to a foreign worker's job in Canada — such as a change in position, remuneration, duties or work location — must be assessed in advance to determine if a new LMIA and/or new work permit is needed. In addition, if corporate changes such as merg­ers or acquisitions lead to an employer changing its name, the foreign worker may require a new work permit.

8. Other considerations

There are numerous practical considerations beyond identifying the proper immigration or work permit category to use.

a. The application package and supporting documentation

It is imperative to put together a strong application package when applying for an LMIA or a work permit. By ensuring that an application is well documented and complete, the likelihood of it being approved is significantly increased. The extent and content of the material included in the application package will depend on the work permit category and the particular circumstances of each situation.

b. Employment issues

Offers of employment and employment contracts for foreign workers must be carefully crafted. Offers of employment to foreign workers should be made condi­tional on the worker obtaining a work permit and maintaining valid status to work in Canada. Transferred employees and foreign hires should be required to sign an employment contract during the hiring process to govern the employment relationship.

c. Tax issues

Different tax rates or dual tax-filing obligations may need to be addressed in intra-company transfer situations. As well, there may be tax issues or withholding issues for the company or for personnel whenever ser­vices are being rendered in Canada — even where the foreign national may not be directly remunerated in Canada.

d. Obtaining provincial health coverage

In Canada, health coverage is provided by provincial governments. Transferees or foreign national hires on work permits and their dependants will usually be eligible for public health coverage. The eligibility rules vary by province and private coverage should be arranged prior to entry to cover any waiting period. Extensions of work permits should be obtained early to avoid potential disruption in public health coverage.

e. Social insurance numbers

Foreign workers need a social insurance number to be paid employment income in Canada, which may be obtained from a local Service Canada office or by mail. A work permit must be obtained prior to applying for a social insurance number.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

To print this article, all you need is to be registered on

Click to Login as an existing user or Register so you can print this article.

Similar Articles
Relevancy Powered by MondaqAI
Dale & Lessmann LLP
Dale & Lessmann LLP
In association with
Related Topics
Similar Articles
Relevancy Powered by MondaqAI
Dale & Lessmann LLP
Dale & Lessmann LLP
Related Articles
Related Video
Up-coming Events Search
Font Size:
Mondaq on Twitter
Register for Access and our Free Biweekly Alert for
This service is completely free. Access 250,000 archived articles from 100+ countries and get a personalised email twice a week covering developments (and yes, our lawyers like to think you’ve read our Disclaimer).
Email Address
Company Name
Confirm Password
Mondaq Topics -- Select your Interests
 Law Performance
 Law Practice
 Media & IT
 Real Estate
 Wealth Mgt
Asia Pacific
European Union
Latin America
Middle East
United States
Worldwide Updates
Registration (you must scroll down to set your data preferences)

Mondaq Ltd requires you to register and provide information that personally identifies you, including your content preferences, for three primary purposes (full details of Mondaq’s use of your personal data can be found in our Privacy and Cookies Notice):

  • To allow you to personalize the Mondaq websites you are visiting to show content ("Content") relevant to your interests.
  • To enable features such as password reminder, news alerts, email a colleague, and linking from Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to your website.
  • To produce demographic feedback for our content providers ("Contributors") who contribute Content for free for your use.

Mondaq hopes that our registered users will support us in maintaining our free to view business model by consenting to our use of your personal data as described below.

Mondaq has a "free to view" business model. Our services are paid for by Contributors in exchange for Mondaq providing them with access to information about who accesses their content. Once personal data is transferred to our Contributors they become a data controller of this personal data. They use it to measure the response that their articles are receiving, as a form of market research. They may also use it to provide Mondaq users with information about their products and services.

Details of each Contributor to which your personal data will be transferred is clearly stated within the Content that you access. For full details of how this Contributor will use your personal data, you should review the Contributor’s own Privacy Notice.

Please indicate your preference below:

Yes, I am happy to support Mondaq in maintaining its free to view business model by agreeing to allow Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors whose Content I access
No, I do not want Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors

Also please let us know whether you are happy to receive communications promoting products and services offered by Mondaq:

Yes, I am happy to received promotional communications from Mondaq
No, please do not send me promotional communications from Mondaq
Terms & Conditions (the Website) is owned and managed by Mondaq Ltd (Mondaq). Mondaq grants you a non-exclusive, revocable licence to access the Website and associated services, such as the Mondaq News Alerts (Services), subject to and in consideration of your compliance with the following terms and conditions of use (Terms). Your use of the Website and/or Services constitutes your agreement to the Terms. Mondaq may terminate your use of the Website and Services if you are in breach of these Terms or if Mondaq decides to terminate the licence granted hereunder for any reason whatsoever.

Use of

To Use you must be: eighteen (18) years old or over; legally capable of entering into binding contracts; and not in any way prohibited by the applicable law to enter into these Terms in the jurisdiction which you are currently located.

You may use the Website as an unregistered user, however, you are required to register as a user if you wish to read the full text of the Content or to receive the Services.

You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, link, display, or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these Terms or with the prior written consent of Mondaq. You may not use electronic or other means to extract details or information from the Content. Nor shall you extract information about users or Contributors in order to offer them any services or products.

In your use of the Website and/or Services you shall: comply with all applicable laws, regulations, directives and legislations which apply to your Use of the Website and/or Services in whatever country you are physically located including without limitation any and all consumer law, export control laws and regulations; provide to us true, correct and accurate information and promptly inform us in the event that any information that you have provided to us changes or becomes inaccurate; notify Mondaq immediately of any circumstances where you have reason to believe that any Intellectual Property Rights or any other rights of any third party may have been infringed; co-operate with reasonable security or other checks or requests for information made by Mondaq from time to time; and at all times be fully liable for the breach of any of these Terms by a third party using your login details to access the Website and/or Services

however, you shall not: do anything likely to impair, interfere with or damage or cause harm or distress to any persons, or the network; do anything that will infringe any Intellectual Property Rights or other rights of Mondaq or any third party; or use the Website, Services and/or Content otherwise than in accordance with these Terms; use any trade marks or service marks of Mondaq or the Contributors, or do anything which may be seen to take unfair advantage of the reputation and goodwill of Mondaq or the Contributors, or the Website, Services and/or Content.

Mondaq reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take any action that it deems necessary and appropriate in the event it considers that there is a breach or threatened breach of the Terms.

Mondaq’s Rights and Obligations

Unless otherwise expressly set out to the contrary, nothing in these Terms shall serve to transfer from Mondaq to you, any Intellectual Property Rights owned by and/or licensed to Mondaq and all rights, title and interest in and to such Intellectual Property Rights will remain exclusively with Mondaq and/or its licensors.

Mondaq shall use its reasonable endeavours to make the Website and Services available to you at all times, but we cannot guarantee an uninterrupted and fault free service.

Mondaq reserves the right to make changes to the services and/or the Website or part thereof, from time to time, and we may add, remove, modify and/or vary any elements of features and functionalities of the Website or the services.

Mondaq also reserves the right from time to time to monitor your Use of the Website and/or services.


The Content is general information only. It is not intended to constitute legal advice or seek to be the complete and comprehensive statement of the law, nor is it intended to address your specific requirements or provide advice on which reliance should be placed. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in the Content for any purpose. All Content provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers hereby exclude and disclaim all representations, warranties or guarantees with regard to the Content, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Mondaq expressly excludes all representations, warranties, obligations, and liabilities arising out of or in connection with all Content. In no event shall Mondaq and/or its respective suppliers be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use of the Content or performance of Mondaq’s Services.


Mondaq may alter or amend these Terms by amending them on the Website. By continuing to Use the Services and/or the Website after such amendment, you will be deemed to have accepted any amendment to these Terms.

These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales to settle any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with these Terms. If you live outside the United Kingdom, English law shall apply only to the extent that English law shall not deprive you of any legal protection accorded in accordance with the law of the place where you are habitually resident ("Local Law"). In the event English law deprives you of any legal protection which is accorded to you under Local Law, then these terms shall be governed by Local Law and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts where you are habitually resident.

You may print and keep a copy of these Terms, which form the entire agreement between you and Mondaq and supersede any other communications or advertising in respect of the Service and/or the Website.

No delay in exercising or non-exercise by you and/or Mondaq of any of its rights under or in connection with these Terms shall operate as a waiver or release of each of your or Mondaq’s right. Rather, any such waiver or release must be specifically granted in writing signed by the party granting it.

If any part of these Terms is held unenforceable, that part shall be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to give effect to the intent of the parties, and the Terms shall continue in full force and effect.

Mondaq shall not incur any liability to you on account of any loss or damage resulting from any delay or failure to perform all or any part of these Terms if such delay or failure is caused, in whole or in part, by events, occurrences, or causes beyond the control of Mondaq. Such events, occurrences or causes will include, without limitation, acts of God, strikes, lockouts, server and network failure, riots, acts of war, earthquakes, fire and explosions.

By clicking Register you state you have read and agree to our Terms and Conditions