- May 3 – Freehold Royalties Ltd. entered into an agreement with Husky Energy Inc. to acquire royalty production and lands for an aggregate purchase price of $165 million. The transaction closed on May 25, 2016 and takes effect as of January 1, 2016.
- May 5 – Certarus Ltd. has acquired Cangas Solutions Inc. from Trinidad Drilling Ltd. The acquisition added 30 additional CNG transportation trailers to Certarus' operations allowing Certarus to expand their capacity and meet their forecasted growth for 2016. The asset purchase also included surplus compression, flare gas capture and other field equipment.
- May 11 – Husky Energy Inc. has announced an agreement for the sale of select assets in southwest Saskatchewan for $595 million to Whitecap Resources Inc.
- May 11 – Reliance Oilfield Services, LLC announced the execution of an agreement to acquire the North American assets within FMC Technologies, Inc.'s wireline services business. It has been reported that Reliance intends to offer employment to the majority of FMC Technologies' employees.
- May 17 – The plan of arrangement between Long Run Exploration Ltd., Calgary Sinoenergy Investment Corp. and Long Run's security holders received an extension date from May 30 to June 29 for completion, due to the transaction's pending review under the Investment Canada Act. The arrangement was previously approved under the Competition Act (Canada) on April 20.
- May 17 – Strategic Oil & Gas Ltd. has executed an asset exchange agreement, assuming a 100% working interest in the Bistcho gas processing facility and 14 wells capable of production, while also assigning 68 wellbores to their joint interest partner.
- May 26 – Chinook Energy Inc. has entered into an agreement to sell certain assets located in the Gold Creek area in Alberta. The disposition is effective May 1, 2016 and anticipated to close on or before June 30, 2016. The divested assets include a 75% working interest in 20 sections of land and related pipelines and production facilities.
- May 26 – RMP Energy Inc. has acquired 100% working interest in 20 sections of acreage prospective for Montney light oil with significant exploration and development potential, predominantly attached to RMP's existing Gold Creek lands. The transaction includes key Montney assets, which expands RMP's drilling inventory and provides infrastructure in its Gold Creek area.
- May 18 – Suncor Energy Inc. bought a rare cargo of North Sea crude amidst speculation that the company was forced to import oil to feed its refinery due to a forest fire in Albert that has disrupted supply. According to shipping sources Suncor is importing nearly one million bbls of Ekofisk Blend crude from Teesport in northern England.
- May 18 – Connacher Oil and Gas Limited obtained court protection under the Companies Creditors Arrangement Act from its creditors for a period expiring June 16, 2016. The company will use this time to restructure and reorganize its assets, business and financial affairs. The company has received commitments from some of its existing lenders for up to US$20 million in interim financing, which was approved by the initial court order and is subject to certain terms and conditions in order to support continued operations.
- May 24 – AltaGas LPG Limited Partnership, a wholly owned subsidiary of AltaGas Ltd., has entered into a memorandum of understanding with Astomos Energy Corporation with respect to the sale and purchase of liquefied petroleum gas from the proposed propane export terminal on Ridley Island, British Columbia. The export terminal will provide AltaGas’ customers with the opportunity to realize incremental value through access to Asian markets and pricing for western Canadian propane.
- May 31 – Pengrowth Energy Corporation has received regulatory approval under Alberta Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act (EPEA) for the second commercial phase of its Lindbergh thermal project. The approval follows approximately 30 months of project review by stakeholders and regulators. Capital cost estimates and commitments for the second phase have not been finalized, however, the second commercial phase is designed to add 17,500 bbls per day of incremental capacity, resulting in total nameplate capacity from Lindbergh of 30,000 bbls per day at a steam oil ratio of 3.6.
- May 3 – Secure Energy Services Inc. has entered into an agreement to purchase all of the operating assets of PetroLama Energy Canada Inc., except working capital, for an aggregate price of approximately $53.5 million. PetroLama is a privately owned Calgary-based midstream company specializing in the physical trade, storage, terminalling and transport of crude oil from Western Canada to the North American market.
- May 10 – Sempra U.S. Gas & Power completed a transaction with Tallgrass Energy Partners, LP to sell Sempra's 25% interest in Rockies Express Pipeline LLC for approximately $440 million. Rockies Express Pipeline is one of the largest natural gas pipelines ever constructed in North America. It extends over 1,712 miles from Opal, Wyoming, and Meeker, Colorado, to Clarington, Ohio.
Alternative / Green
- May 19 – Enbridge Inc. has acquired a 50% interest in a French offshore wind development company, Éolien Maritime France SAS, for $282 million inclusive of transaction costs and past and future pre-final investment decision development costs. Enbridge will co-own Éolien Maritime with EDF Energies Nouvelles, a subsidiary of Électricité de France S.A that is dedicated to renewable energy.
Dentons is the world's first polycentric global law firm. A top 20 firm on the Acritas 2015 Global Elite Brand Index, the Firm is committed to challenging the status quo in delivering consistent and uncompromising quality and value in new and inventive ways. Driven to provide clients a competitive edge, and connected to the communities where its clients want to do business, Dentons knows that understanding local cultures is crucial to successfully completing a deal, resolving a dispute or solving a business challenge. Now the world's largest law firm, Dentons' global team builds agile, tailored solutions to meet the local, national and global needs of private and public clients of any size in more than 125 locations serving 50-plus countries. www.dentons.com
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances. Specific Questions relating to this article should be addressed directly to the author.