On January 22, 2016, the Brazilian Agency of Water Transport (ANTAQ) released the RFPs related to the second stage of the first block of port terminals to be auctioned through the government's logistics investment program (Programa de Investimento em Logística – PIL).

The auction focuses on the lease of the following port terminals in the State of Pará:

  • 2 areas within the Port of Santarém/PA: a soy terminal, with 27 900 m² and an estimated revenue of R$ 1.464 billion over the term of the contract and an ore terminal, with 26 600 m² and expected revenue of R$ 751.141 million.
  • 3 soy terminals within the Terminal of Outeiro/PA with 25 000 m² each and an expected revenue of R$ 632.687 million each.
  • 1 soy terminal within the Terminal of Vila do Conde/PA with 56 800 m² and an expected revenue of R$ 1.764 billion.

The auction is scheduled for March 31st of this year and, according to ANTAQ, is expected to generate a total revenue of R$ 6.172 billion for the awarded bidders over the course of 25 years of contract.

Similarly to the last auction, foreign companies are allowed to participate in the auction, both individually and in consortia, and there will be no fixed minimum grant amount.

An innovation in relation to the first stage of this first block of port terminals, however, is the fact that the payment of the grants might be divided: 25% at signing of the contract and the remaining 75% in up to 5 annual installments, adjusted in accordance to the IPCA inflation index.

The Energy, Mining and Infrastructure and Public Law group of Trench, Rossi e Watanabe Advogados will be glad to provide any clarification.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.