Australia: What to do when youre involved in a motor accident

Last Updated: 22 November 2017
Article by Erin Woodward
This article is part of a series: Click Changes to NSW motor accident laws - your definitive guide for the previous article.

Now that we've covered the changes to motor accident law, it's time to go through the practical processes you should follow if you are involved in a motor accident.

Ask an expert

Will I have to go to court?

What are the time limits?

What is the value of my claim?

While there are many safety tips that we would advise for your personal wellbeing, from a legal perspective there are several important steps that you will need to take to ensure that the matter can be resolved as quickly and beneficially as possible.

Step #1 Stay calm

The first thing to remember when you've been in a motor accident is to try to remain calm. Acting angrily or aggressively towards the other driver(s) will not only increase the effects of stress, shock and panic for you and the other parties, but it could lead to serious criminal charges, additional injuries and unnecessary difficulties.

Furthermore, you could find yourself in shock and/or full of adrenaline, which can make it difficult to remain focused on protecting yourself both physically and legally.

Step #2 Check for injuries
Check on the occupants of your vehicle to see if anyone has sustained injuries and, if so, whether they require urgent medical attention. If you, your passengers, or occupants of the other vehicles involved do require medical assistance, it is critical that you dial 000 for an ambulance immediately.
Step #3 Survey the damage

If you are able to vacate your vehicle, then you will need to assess the severity of the damage to your vehicle and to any of the other vehicles involved in the accident. If the damage is significant, you will need to contact the police who will come to document the accident and talk to the involved parties and witnesses.

It may be a good idea to take photographs of the damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle for insurance purposes and even to take photographs of the general area and where the vehicles are positioned if possible.

Step #4 Fault
Fault is determined not by the driver(s), but by the authorities like the police and the courts after careful review of all the circumstances surrounding the accident and by following proper legal procedures.

Ask an expert

What do I have to do?

Is there anything I should do now?

What happens when a claim doesn't go to plan?

Immediately after an accident


Download this infographic

Immediately following the crash and the assessment of injury and damage, you will need to collect information on the other driver(s) and document the accident through photos. Luckily, smartphones have made this process very simple. Here is what you should try to collect:

Contact details of the other driver(s) including:

  • Full name
  • Full address
  • Contact number, including mobile, home and work if appropriate
  • Details of their insurer

Vehicle details including:

  • Make and model of the vehicle
  • Licence plate
  • Vehicle colour

Details of the accident including:

  • Time the accident occurred
  • Date the accident occurred
  • Exact location of the crash (You can use Google Maps on your smartphone to pinpoint this if necessary).
  • Photos of the accident: Focus particularly on the areas of damage on all vehicles involved, with plenty of close-up images and angles, as well as shots that are further away showing where the vehicles have ended up

Details of any witnesses including:

  • Full name
  • Contact details

    Please note that if police are involved, they will record these details as well, and some people may prefer just to share their details with police. If this is the case, it's important to ensure you check that everything is recorded with the police.

When to report the accident to police


Download this infographic

The NSW police have "Major Traffic Crash" criteria that are used to determine whether or not they need to attend a motor accident.

  1. Someone has been killed or injured

    If anyone involved in the accident has been injured, or worse, killed, the police must attend the scene.

  2. One or more of the parties left the scene without exchanging details

    Referred to as "particulars" by the police - failure to stop and exchange the details (listed above) is another reason for a police presence to be requested. In this event, they will need to speak to you and any witnesses to record as many details of the incident as possible, which hopefully will lead them to track down the other parties.

    If there is an altercation between drivers stemming from an unwillingness to swap details, then the police should be contacted to resolve the matter.
  3. A driver is allegedly under the influence of drugs or alcohol

    If you believe that the driver of the other vehicle is intoxicated by either alcohol, drugs or both, it's important that the police be contacted. Remember to remain calm in this situation, as any aggression or anger shown towards someone who is intoxicated could pose a risk to your own safety and the safety of those around you. The police are trained and capable of handling the situation.

Other instances that involve police contact

Aside from the major traffic crash criteria, there are other situations that require discussion with NSW police. In many of these cases, the police will be able to advise you of whether they will need to attend the site of the accident, or if any further action is to be taken.

Accidents involving reckless, dangerous or menacing behaviour

If you believe that the accident, even a minor one, was caused by the other driver(s) driving in a manner that was reckless, dangerous or menacing (with or without alleged intoxication), then reporting to police should be a priority.

Suspected criminal behaviour

If there is suspected criminal behaviour at the scene of your car accident, then police should be called. This could include:

  • Aggressive behaviour towards you or witnesses
  • A suspected underage driver
  • A suspected unregistered vehicle
  • Suspected intoxication
  • Other suspicious activities witnessed

Unattended vehicles and property damage

If you are involved in an accident and unable to trade details with the owner of a vehicle or property, contact the police. They will be able to assist you in recording the incident and finding the owner of the damaged vehicle or property to resolve the matter.

Traffic hazards and large vehicle towing

The police are also required to attend if your motor accident impedes traffic to the extent that traffic management or direction are required to return traffic flow to a normal state. This may include any substances or fluids that have been spilled onto the road as a result of the incident.

If the accident involves a truck, bus or other heavy vehicle, then the police are to be notified so that specialist towing or support equipment can be arranged.

Accessing the police report

If the police are involved in your motor accident claim, then they will record the details of the accident and provide you with an "event number". This number can be used to request the police report on your accident.

You, your legal counsel, or your insurer can request your incident report via the Insurance Services Unit or by downloading the 'P862 Application for Incident Report' form.

Blameless accidents

A motor accident is deemed blameless when its cause cannot be directly attributed to the operational failure of the motor vehicle(s) by their driver(s). In other words, if the accident is caused by an external factor not influenced by either driver, then neither driver can be blamed.

An example of a blameless accident could be when one driver suffers a heart attack that causes them to crash into another vehicle.

Hit and run

A "hit and run" is when the driver(s) of one or more of the vehicles involved in the accident depart the scene without swapping any details. In this event, you must contact the police, report the accident and explain the situation. They will advise on the next steps involved, but they will usually attend the scene, speak to any witnesses and record the details of the accident with you.

Who else do I contact?

Aside from the relevant emergency services, there are other parties that you will want to contact, depending on the severity of the damage and extent of injury.

If the accident is minor, no vehicles require towing, nobody is injured and both parties have swapped details, then there is no need to contact the police.

Towing services

If the damage to a vehicle requires it to be towed from the scene, then you will need to report the accident to the Police Assistance Line. You'll receive an incident report number to use for the duration of your insurance claim and legal proceedings, if applicable.



If you or a passenger are injured in the accident, but do not need to be taken to hospital, you should go to a medical centre or your GP as soon as possible in order to record your injuries formally.

Your doctor will provide you with a medical certificate and a report that details all injuries caused by the accident, along with any treatment that is required to heal those injuries.


Should your car be damaged, but drivable, you will want to take it to your local (or insurer approved) mechanic so they can provide you with a formal damage report that you can use for your insurance claim and legal proceedings, if applicable.

Manufacturers of objects in your vehicle

In order to assess damages accurately, you may be required by your insurer to have any goods that were inside your car and damaged during the accident to be valued by the manufacturer or a relevant store.

This process will be largely dictated by your insurer. It is important that you comply with their requests to ensure you receive the maximum benefits.



What happens when you're a pedestrian involved in an accident

If you're in the unenviable position of being struck by a motor vehicle, then it's important to understand the process following the incident.


When the accident occurs

If you're not severely injured, then you'll need to follow similar steps to that of a motor vs. motor accident. That means:

You must trade the following information with the driver of the vehicle:

  • Contact details including: full name, address and phone numbers
  • Insurance information
  • Vehicle details: licence plate, make, model and colour of vehicle
  • Details of the accident: time and date of the accident, location of the accident
  • Photos of the accident and any injuries: pictures of the car, including the number plate, any injuries you've received
  • If possible, get the details of any witnesses

Minor injury

If you've endured a minor injury, meaning that you do not require immediate medical assistance like an ambulance or hospital visit, then it's important for you to follow the above instructions to record the details of the driver(s) and the incident.

You should still visit your GP so that your injuries can be recorded officially for the purpose of any possible insurance claim and any legal proceedings, if applicable.

Severe injury

If you are severely injured due to the accident, you'll likely be taken to the nearest hospital for treatment. In your absence, police will have been called to attend and record the accident. At this stage, there is of course very little you can do.

Your injuries will be recorded at the hospital for your insurance and any legal proceedings, and the police will be able to provide you with the incident report.

Does the type of vehicle matter?

The meaning of a motor vehicle (for claims purposes) is a vehicle that is built to be propelled by a motor that forms part of the vehicle. It can include motorbikes, buses, trucks, trailers, and construction vehicles.

There is no difference in the claims process provided the vehicle is a "motor vehicle". Also, you can claim if you were a pedestrian or cyclist, as long as a motor vehicle was involved.

Large vehicles

Trucks, buses, and other large vehicles almost always require the assistance of police, as they are normally an impediment to traffic and require a level of signalling and traffic control to clear the scene.

If no traffic management is required and damage is minimal, follow the same steps as detailed above, ensuring to swap all driver details and take photographs.


Motor accident laws for tourists in Australia

If you are a tourist or a non-permanent resident and are involved in a motor accident in Australia, you are still covered by Australian law while you remain in the country.

It's important to note, however, that once you leave Australia, you do not continue to receive statutory benefits.

Should you require continuing healthcare, then you need to follow the laws in place in your country of origin. Your paperwork, including incident reports and medical certificates, can be used as evidence for your local governing bodies.

Different states

States in Australia have different laws relating to motor accidents. This guide covers the changes to the laws in NSW only. If you are in a motor accident in another state, your claims and benefits are governed by that state's laws.

For example, if you are a NSW resident and have a motor accident in Queensland, the incident is covered under Queensland law, not NSW law.

Law personnel involved in motor accidents


The police will attend the motor accident scene if it meets their criteria. They will talk to those involved, including witnesses, and will officially document the incident. You can use this report for your claim.

Lawyer (solicitors) and support staff

You may need to seek advice from a lawyer (solicitor) in regard to your claim. They can assist you in dealing with disputes that arise concerning your statutory benefits and/or in claiming damages.


Sometimes your lawyer will engage a barrister on your behalf when presenting your case to the Dispute Resolution Service. If your matter proceeds to court, then your lawyer would engage a barrister to present your case in court.

Insurance claims manager

The insurance claims manager is the person who will handle your motor accident insurance claim. It's their job to help you process your claim.

Medico-legal doctors

At various points during your claim you may be required to attend a medico-legal doctor to assess your injuries, your treatment and care needs and/or your whole person impairment. You may be required to attend a medico-legal doctor for the insurer, for your lawyer and for the Dispute Resolution Service.

Motor accident assessors in the Dispute Resolution Service

If you dispute an insurer's decision with the Dispute Resolution Service, or you refer your damages claim for assessment by the Dispute Resolution Service, then an assessor will be allocated to your matter to make a decision or assessment about those matters in dispute.


While most claims don't end up in court, if you do commence court proceedings then your case will eventually be heard by a judge who will determine your case.


Download this infographic

Stacks Law Firm motor accident claims and advice

Stacks Law Firm has many lawyers who are personal injury and motor accident law specialists, including Accredited Specialists in Personal Injury law. With a network of lawyers around NSW, we're focused on ensuring that you have access to high quality and cost effective legal advice to help you resolve your case.

If you need further advice on motor accident laws and how they affect you, or if you believe that you are entitled to damages or other benefits, then be sure to get in touch with us and we'll direct you to your nearest specialist.

Erin Woodward
Motor vehicle accidents
Stacks Law Firm

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

To print this article, all you need is to be registered on

Click to Login as an existing user or Register so you can print this article.

This article is part of a series: Click Changes to NSW motor accident laws - your definitive guide for the previous article.
Some comments from our readers…
“The articles are extremely timely and highly applicable”
“I often find critical information not available elsewhere”
“As in-house counsel, Mondaq’s service is of great value”

Related Topics
Related Articles
Up-coming Events Search
Font Size:
Mondaq on Twitter
Register for Access and our Free Biweekly Alert for
This service is completely free. Access 250,000 archived articles from 100+ countries and get a personalised email twice a week covering developments (and yes, our lawyers like to think you’ve read our Disclaimer).
Email Address
Company Name
Confirm Password
Mondaq Topics -- Select your Interests
 Law Performance
 Law Practice
 Media & IT
 Real Estate
 Wealth Mgt
Asia Pacific
European Union
Latin America
Middle East
United States
Worldwide Updates
Registration (you must scroll down to set your data preferences)

Mondaq Ltd requires you to register and provide information that personally identifies you, including your content preferences, for three primary purposes (full details of Mondaq’s use of your personal data can be found in our Privacy and Cookies Notice):

  • To allow you to personalize the Mondaq websites you are visiting to show content ("Content") relevant to your interests.
  • To enable features such as password reminder, news alerts, email a colleague, and linking from Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to your website.
  • To produce demographic feedback for our content providers ("Contributors") who contribute Content for free for your use.

Mondaq hopes that our registered users will support us in maintaining our free to view business model by consenting to our use of your personal data as described below.

Mondaq has a "free to view" business model. Our services are paid for by Contributors in exchange for Mondaq providing them with access to information about who accesses their content. Once personal data is transferred to our Contributors they become a data controller of this personal data. They use it to measure the response that their articles are receiving, as a form of market research. They may also use it to provide Mondaq users with information about their products and services.

Details of each Contributor to which your personal data will be transferred is clearly stated within the Content that you access. For full details of how this Contributor will use your personal data, you should review the Contributor’s own Privacy Notice.

Please indicate your preference below:

Yes, I am happy to support Mondaq in maintaining its free to view business model by agreeing to allow Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors whose Content I access
No, I do not want Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors

Also please let us know whether you are happy to receive communications promoting products and services offered by Mondaq:

Yes, I am happy to received promotional communications from Mondaq
No, please do not send me promotional communications from Mondaq
Terms & Conditions (the Website) is owned and managed by Mondaq Ltd (Mondaq). Mondaq grants you a non-exclusive, revocable licence to access the Website and associated services, such as the Mondaq News Alerts (Services), subject to and in consideration of your compliance with the following terms and conditions of use (Terms). Your use of the Website and/or Services constitutes your agreement to the Terms. Mondaq may terminate your use of the Website and Services if you are in breach of these Terms or if Mondaq decides to terminate the licence granted hereunder for any reason whatsoever.

Use of

To Use you must be: eighteen (18) years old or over; legally capable of entering into binding contracts; and not in any way prohibited by the applicable law to enter into these Terms in the jurisdiction which you are currently located.

You may use the Website as an unregistered user, however, you are required to register as a user if you wish to read the full text of the Content or to receive the Services.

You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, link, display, or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these Terms or with the prior written consent of Mondaq. You may not use electronic or other means to extract details or information from the Content. Nor shall you extract information about users or Contributors in order to offer them any services or products.

In your use of the Website and/or Services you shall: comply with all applicable laws, regulations, directives and legislations which apply to your Use of the Website and/or Services in whatever country you are physically located including without limitation any and all consumer law, export control laws and regulations; provide to us true, correct and accurate information and promptly inform us in the event that any information that you have provided to us changes or becomes inaccurate; notify Mondaq immediately of any circumstances where you have reason to believe that any Intellectual Property Rights or any other rights of any third party may have been infringed; co-operate with reasonable security or other checks or requests for information made by Mondaq from time to time; and at all times be fully liable for the breach of any of these Terms by a third party using your login details to access the Website and/or Services

however, you shall not: do anything likely to impair, interfere with or damage or cause harm or distress to any persons, or the network; do anything that will infringe any Intellectual Property Rights or other rights of Mondaq or any third party; or use the Website, Services and/or Content otherwise than in accordance with these Terms; use any trade marks or service marks of Mondaq or the Contributors, or do anything which may be seen to take unfair advantage of the reputation and goodwill of Mondaq or the Contributors, or the Website, Services and/or Content.

Mondaq reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take any action that it deems necessary and appropriate in the event it considers that there is a breach or threatened breach of the Terms.

Mondaq’s Rights and Obligations

Unless otherwise expressly set out to the contrary, nothing in these Terms shall serve to transfer from Mondaq to you, any Intellectual Property Rights owned by and/or licensed to Mondaq and all rights, title and interest in and to such Intellectual Property Rights will remain exclusively with Mondaq and/or its licensors.

Mondaq shall use its reasonable endeavours to make the Website and Services available to you at all times, but we cannot guarantee an uninterrupted and fault free service.

Mondaq reserves the right to make changes to the services and/or the Website or part thereof, from time to time, and we may add, remove, modify and/or vary any elements of features and functionalities of the Website or the services.

Mondaq also reserves the right from time to time to monitor your Use of the Website and/or services.


The Content is general information only. It is not intended to constitute legal advice or seek to be the complete and comprehensive statement of the law, nor is it intended to address your specific requirements or provide advice on which reliance should be placed. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in the Content for any purpose. All Content provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers hereby exclude and disclaim all representations, warranties or guarantees with regard to the Content, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Mondaq expressly excludes all representations, warranties, obligations, and liabilities arising out of or in connection with all Content. In no event shall Mondaq and/or its respective suppliers be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use of the Content or performance of Mondaq’s Services.


Mondaq may alter or amend these Terms by amending them on the Website. By continuing to Use the Services and/or the Website after such amendment, you will be deemed to have accepted any amendment to these Terms.

These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales to settle any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with these Terms. If you live outside the United Kingdom, English law shall apply only to the extent that English law shall not deprive you of any legal protection accorded in accordance with the law of the place where you are habitually resident ("Local Law"). In the event English law deprives you of any legal protection which is accorded to you under Local Law, then these terms shall be governed by Local Law and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts where you are habitually resident.

You may print and keep a copy of these Terms, which form the entire agreement between you and Mondaq and supersede any other communications or advertising in respect of the Service and/or the Website.

No delay in exercising or non-exercise by you and/or Mondaq of any of its rights under or in connection with these Terms shall operate as a waiver or release of each of your or Mondaq’s right. Rather, any such waiver or release must be specifically granted in writing signed by the party granting it.

If any part of these Terms is held unenforceable, that part shall be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to give effect to the intent of the parties, and the Terms shall continue in full force and effect.

Mondaq shall not incur any liability to you on account of any loss or damage resulting from any delay or failure to perform all or any part of these Terms if such delay or failure is caused, in whole or in part, by events, occurrences, or causes beyond the control of Mondaq. Such events, occurrences or causes will include, without limitation, acts of God, strikes, lockouts, server and network failure, riots, acts of war, earthquakes, fire and explosions.

By clicking Register you state you have read and agree to our Terms and Conditions