Nicholas Weston, the law firm behind the Australian Trade Marks Law Blog has moved to so-called 'cloud computing' technology architecture with the adoption of the WebTMS browser-based trade mark management system. According to Nicholas Weston, this infrastructure purchase will significantly strengthen this practice area and prove a real asset to the firm.
WebTMS enables Nicholas Weston to offer clients browser-based trade marks portfolio management applications that utilise the same infrastructure powering major US and UK law firms, and US Fortune 500 corporate IP departments. A list of users can be found HERE.
Key Features of WebTMS
The following key features of WebTMS are set out in detail below and can be summarised as follows:
- the most secure, robust and advanced trade mark management and docketing system available and has been used by the world's leading firms for over 5 years;
- real time access for Clients to the cases Nicholas Weston is handling for them with 24/7 worldwide secure access to a Client's trade mark portfolio details from any computer with an internet connection;
- foreign Agents can update the cases they are handing for Nicholas Weston;
- a repository for all trade mark and intellectual property data, with images and supporting documents;
- database links to the trade marks offices of 12 jurisdictions, for click throughs, data audits and automatic data loading;
- built in trade mark searching for the 12 online trade marks offices, with search results management;
- workflow wizards to maximize efficiency;
- designed by trade mark attorneys for trade mark attorneys, and supported by extensive user input.
Benefits of the WebTMS system
For Nicholas Weston
The central trade mark repository created by the WebTMS system gives Nicholas Weston unrivalled management control over a Client's trade marks portfolio, and at the same time lets the firm share the information and collaborate with professional colleagues worldwide. If the firm needs to instruct outside counsel for a new project, or change a foreign Agent, the new representative can be given immediate and effortless access to the Client's trade marks portfolio.
Every trade mark record, and all its supporting documentation, is available for review and updating no matter where the practitioner is located: in the office, at home, on the road or at selected associate firms around the world. All the functionality of WebTMS is available: the firm can run a docket and update it, check the status of applications and renewals, and print and email reports -- all from a web-browser.
For Clients of Nicholas Weston
The Client Access Module enables Nicholas Weston to give its Clients view only secure access to summary details of trade mark applications and registrations. A Client can check the status of applications and run its own listings and reports. The firm can include guidelines and other advice on display screens.
For Barristers engaged by Nicholas Weston
The firm can provide access to selected modules of the trade mark database and supporting documents to barristers on a temporary, ad hoc basis, just for the period of their involvement. They can be given rights to update Infringement and other records as appropriate. This can cut down the workload of the firm's staff, as Counsel can do their own research on Client records. Fees attendant to double-handling are avoided.
For Nicholas Weston's Foreign Agents
Agents can use the Agent Update Module to update records of the applications and registrations for which they are responsible. All changes they make to the firm's records are logged in an audit trail for security. The burden on the firm's staff may be cut dramatically. For example, a multi-country trade mark filing program can be prepared in minutes using the New Filing Wizard, which automatically creates the basic trade mark records. The Agents then update the data in these records as the filing, prosecution and registration data becomes available. They can also scan and add the supporting documents to the system. Again, fees attendant to double-handling are avoided.
Direct Trade Marks Office links for data downloads and auditing
WebTMS links directly to the official online trade mark databases in these jurisdictions: Australia, CTM, Ireland, Switzerland, Benelux, Germany, Philippines, United Kingdom, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, United States, WIPO (Madrid IR)
When WebTMS displays one of the firm's trade marks records in these jurisdictions, the operator can 'click through' to the corresponding Trade Marks Office record, to compare the data in each record or to check the most up to date official status. Nicholas Weston can also run an individual audit on the record, and transfer missing data from the Trade Marks Office records to the firm's own record with one click. This makes it easy to validate and update the data in the firm's database.
The Data Import Wizard can load complete trade mark records from the 12 Trade Marks Office databases automatically into WebTMS, without re-keying any of the data. If Nicholas Weston takes on responsibility for the marks of a new company, the firm can load their records in these jurisdictions within the hour.
WebTMS provides complete docketing for statutory deadlines and personal reminders and email reminders of critical dates.
Cost savings to pass on to Clients
The so called 'cloud computing' ASP model requires no investment in hardware, as it is hosted on a secure third party file server. The developer of WebTMS takes care of upgrades and bug fixes on its own servers at its own cost. The cost savings are reflected in the Nicholas Weston's lower overheads and passed on in its fee structure. In this way it is possible to have the infrastructure of the major international firms without their price points. Oh, and personal service. Really.
About Nicholas Weston
- Founded in 2005, Nicholas Weston is an unstuffy Australian law firm. Nicholas Weston was created and thrives as a leading-edge legal services business, focusing on brands, creative companies and sectors where technology is transforming business. Our clients are sophisticated buyers of legal services, principally entrepreneurial companies, and intellectual property owners, whom we advise in matters ranging from contracts to litigation.
- Nicholas Weston claims practical implementation of thought leadership. Examples include a 'cloud computing' technology architecture with the adoption of the WebTMS browser-based trade mark management system and Web 2.0 marketing; Nicholas Weston is the law firm behind the Australian Trade Marks Law Blog.
- Nicholas Weston's Trade Marks practice is rated by the Managing IP World Intellectual Property Survey 2008 as one of the leading firms for trade marks prosecution in Australia.
- Each Nicholas Weston professional is a dual qualified lawyer and registered trade marks attorney.
- The firm is located on Collins Street, Melbourne in the historic Assembly Hall.
- More information on Nicholas Weston's services can be found at www.nicholasweston.com
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.